Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    venture Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2012, 10:17 AM
    [QUOTE=venture;3124831]Thanks Stringer,

Hi Stringer.

I'm back and have a few accounts now. I've been asked for estimate on cleaning a bank. Is a bank any different than any other office area?

Thanks.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jul 22, 2012, 09:48 PM
    [QUOTE=venture;3202935]
    Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Thanks Stringer,

Hi Stringer.

I'm back and have a few accounts now. I've been asked for estimate on cleaning a bank. is a bank any different than any other office area?

Thanks.
    Yes, primarily security.

Some banks require background checks on all workers and supervision.

All waste from the 'teller lines' are usually kept for seven (7) days. Then on the eight day of cleaning the first day's waste is thrown away.

Also security may require that you arrive and leave at certain times of the night.

And remember that you are most likely being videoed.

Stringer

Jul 25, 2012, 07:41 PM
    Thanks Stringer,

I got the job!
    Business Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 12:32 PM
    Thanks Stringer,

I got the job!
    Great Venture, glad to hear it. Thanks for letting me know.

Stringer

Jul 27, 2012, 07:39 PM
    OK Stringer,

I got a really weird request to take the trash from a office cleaning job. They basically are moving into a new office space and won't be renting a dumpster. The trash would include 10 regular trash containers, 1 shredder container, 2 restroom containers and 1 kitchen trash... every night. How would I go about pricing the trash disposal... and am not even sure where I'd take the trash other than back home with me... uugghhh.
    Business Expert

Jul 27, 2012, 07:51 PM
    ok Stringer,

I got a really weird request to take the trash from a office cleaning job. They basically are moving into a new office space and won't be renting a dumpster. The trash would include 10 regular trash containers, 1 shredder container, 2 restroom containers and 1 kitchen trash...every night. How would I go about pricing the trash disposal....and am not even sure where I'd take the trash other than back home with me....uugghhh.
    Really?

In 35 years in this business I have never, never had that request Venture. This is beyond your responsibilities, if you do this you are open to other problems;

No insurance to transport trash of any kind other than to a designated container.

Even though this is an office you could have hazardous waste ( blood from band aids, blood on cotton swabs, body fluids such as urine, throw up, etc... ). This is strictly controlled by the law and could bring law suits.

If you or your staff is injured while transporting this... well...

They are going beyond reason to save money. You are NOT a trash hauler and you don't want to be either.

You could also run into trouble with unions that do transport trash.

Tell them that they need to make arrangements to have a dumpster/s or get permission to use someone else's that is on site, this is SOP.

'Not with a ten foot pole... '

Stringer

Aug 8, 2012, 07:00 PM
    Hi Stringer,

So now I need some tips on hiring people. I'm not a micromanager type of person so what's the best way to go about it?
    Business Expert

Aug 8, 2012, 07:39 PM
    Hello Venture,

Do you have any employees presently?

The key is having enough work to keep good people and give them steady work.

Hiring 'key' people is vital. People that you can trust and want to grow with your company (give them incentives). These people are sometimes hard to find and you may go through some before you find the right one/s.

Interview them closely and be detailed in asking questions about themselves, their attitude/s, work ethics, family oriented (?), experience in this business, contacts (can they help find workers for the company), etc.

We were fortunate in the beginning that we found a person that fits all the criteria above and they were with us for three years and then we helped him start his own cleaning company.

Now we have an Operations Director, 9 supervisors, three two man floor crews and over 300 employees. The supervisors are responsible for hiring workers, their evaluations, promotions and terminations when necessary after three written warnings.

Stringer

Aug 8, 2012, 08:12 PM
    Yikes, that's quite a crowd... 300. No, I don't have anyone yet. However, I will be needing someone and that would involve giving them the keys to a couple of sites. I just don't know how to tackle that. How do you know that you can really trust them with the keys and should there be a signed document when you give them the key responsiblitiy even though I have insured/bonded them as well as a criminal background check. Also, do most cleaners like to clean solo or as part of a team. I was thinking a team effort would be more efficient and thorough.
    Business Expert

Aug 9, 2012, 04:37 PM
    Yikes, that's quite a crowd... 300. No, I don't have anyone yet. However, I will be needing someone and that would involve giving them the keys to a couple of sites. I just don't know how to tackle that. How do you know that you can really trust them with the keys and should there be a signed document when you give them the key responsiblitiy even though I have insured/bonded them as well as a criminal background check. Also, do most cleaners like to clean solo or as part of a team. I was thinking a team effort would be more efficient and thorough.
    It is to your advantage when more than one person cleans Venture. Should one be sick or just not show you have a back up plan as you should always have with everything. Remember your contract calls for the sites to be cleaned regardless of any situation.

Admittedly initially you have to take a chance on people, just find ways to reduce that risk when ever and where ever you can. This business involves a lot of trust. Trust in you from your clients and your trust in your employees to do the very best job in town. Remember you have to produce always as there are many that will take your business quickly if you don't keep your clients happy... communicate with them also.

In the beginning it is difficult and sometimes you have to devise something that 'shores' up your odds. In the residential cleaning business, which my wife started and 4 years later sold for a nice profit, she held the first paycheck as other owners in that business did. Then when anything was broken or perhaps stolen (something which happens rarely, but crap flows downhill and the cleaning person is always the first to get blamed, kind of like the oil catch pan under the engine) or they leave and you need something back from them they get their check when you get the keys. Sometimes only a portion of each check is kept until a certain total is arrived at. Tell them it will be placed in a savings account and the interest will also be paid to them. After a time and they prove to be good employees then give them that money. This is your choice, I never have done this in my commercial business though.

Get to know your workers very well, their home, family, etc that helps also.

In twenty years we have NEVER missed a payroll, you should never either as this is one of the biggest motivators for the workers. Give a small cash bonus when is it warranted too.

In the beginning it is very hectic and requires a lot of your time, heart and energy... however remember failure is not an option never...

And finally, there will be heartbreaks and disappointments but the rewards are an extreme 'high.' That feeling that YOU took something that was nothing taught it how to crawl, walk and run... is very satisfying Venture along with rewarding.

Stringer

Aug 10, 2012, 11:42 AM
    Stringer,

Thank you so much for the info. I just started an employee handbook and will include the holding of last pay check bit, will include a core values section... you've brought up some great points for interviewing and I got some good ideas on how to expand on it... Thanks so much!
    Business Expert

Aug 10, 2012, 02:24 PM
    As always Venture you are very welcome. If I may be of further assistance let me know.

Stringer

Aug 16, 2012, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    As always Venture you are very welcome. If I may be of further assistance let me know.

Stringer
    Hi Stringer,

What is the min/max evening hours that employees are usually looking for. Are most of them working a second job?
    Business Expert

Aug 16, 2012, 07:56 PM
    hi Stringer,

What is the min/max evening hours that employees are usually looking for. Are most of them working a second job?
    It is my hope that you are using employees and not sub contractors Venture, it will save you a ton of problems in the future my friend.

A lot of our employees are 'part time' which is 32 hours / week or more as described by the sate and feds. We have some that work more than one location per night based upon the size of each and the hours involved each night. Although the time spent traveling to the second account is on the clock.

It is important to give enough hours to keep good people and in some cases where the location is in an area where it is difficult to find good help you have to pay more per hour. Anything over 40 hours per week is over time Venture at time and a half. Remember this in your pricing.

Actually tracking your hours is vital and you could keep most at 30 or less hours per week. We pay twice per month not every other week.

In response to your question; Some, not many do work other jobs, hopefully not for a competitor though. We offer most around 30 hours per week.

Stringer

Aug 17, 2012, 01:06 PM
    Hi Stringer,

No, I'm not using subcontractors... not sure what that other post was about.
    Yes, I've already looked into my state's labor hr laws. I wanted to get a better idea of what kind of hours a cleaner is looking for. I want to provide them with enough hours to have them stick with the job and just wasn't sure if most would be coming from another full time job and would only want 2-4hrs each night.

Also, In a few days I'm going to bid on an upscale apartment complex it's going to be the common areas and management offices. Do you have any tips for me. This might require a day porter there to maintain the gamerooms, gyms, indoor play area etc. I don't have the specifics of the sq ft yet. Thanks, you've been a great help.
    Business Expert

Aug 17, 2012, 10:22 PM
    hi Stringer,

No, I'm not using subcontractors ...not sure what that other post was about.
    Yes, I've already looked into my state's labor hr laws. I wanted to get a better idea of what kind of hours a cleaner is looking for. I want to provide them with enough hours to have them stick with the job and just wasn't sure if most would be coming from another full time job and would only want 2-4hrs each night.

Also, In a few days I'm going to bid on an upscale apartment complex it's going to be the common areas and management offices. Do you have any tips for me. This might require a day porter there to maintain the gamerooms, gyms, indoor play area etc. I don't have the specifics of the sq ft yet. Thanks, you've been a great help.
    Some workers do have other jobs Venture, handle it on a per person basis and ask good questions during the interview process.

Check the specs carefully as always and ask questions about anything that you are not absolutely sure of. This also gives you a chance to get your 'face' in front of your prospect again, always a good thing.

One problem with apartment or condo jobs is that sometimes every tenant thinks that they are your boss and even though not directly... they are. In essence you will have many 'managers', each wanting you to do something for them or telling you how you are doing your job. If you get the job, set up with management exactly how communications/complaints and requests will be handled.

A day porter is a 'special' hire Venture. He/she has to be very punctual, neat, clean, always polite, IN UNIFORM (even if just a tee shirt with your company name on it), cheerful AND remember WHOM they actually work for. Sometimes they become so close to your client and their people that they feel indispensable and they can be hard to handle, politely remind them who signs their check each pay day. And that they represent the company. And remember that they are not 'gophers' (go-for this or that), they have specific job tasks and you should provide them and management with a list of their daily tasks and the approximate time each will be preformed. Along with what time is break or lunchtime.

The common areas can be a problem especially in the winter months with slush and salt on the hard floors and the carpet/s.You will have to plan to devote additional labor/time to this as the floors are the first thing that everyone notices, one task that the day porter can help out with. Make sure that when you train your crew that they understand that they have to always take care of any carpet spots. Everything else is pretty standard work Venture. However as I said read your specs carefully as there may be some unusual items in there such as use of the washer and dryer, cleaning any equipment, etc.

Read the specs and let me know.

Stringer.

Aug 21, 2012, 07:43 PM
    hi Stringer,

So, I got the specs for the facility... no odd requests. Just approx 15000sqft (4 floor levels)of mostly carpet hallways and several laminate floored rooms(what's the best way to clean those?) & steam Carpet 1x yr.
    Business Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 08:08 PM
    hi Stringer,

So, I got the specs for the facility....no odd requests. Just approx 15000sqft (4 floor levels)of mostly carpet hallways and several laminate floored rooms(what's the best way to clean those?) & steam Carpet 1x yr.
    When you say 'laminate' floors do you mean VCT hard floors? If so, do these floors have wax on them already?

If they do and you are to refinish them then you must strip off all the old wax and re-coat with at least 3 to 4 coats of new finish (wax). Do you know how to do this? If not, let me know please. If you are to only sweep and mop them then so be it, but most often they want them refinished.

We have tried ALL types of carpet cleaning and have found from experience and many, many seminars with carpet experts and carpet companies that the hot water extraction method is best (If properly done).

Please check and recheck those specs Venture and make sure that you understand everything they are asking for.

I hope that yo get the job. If you do, after the job is completed BE SURE to have the job sup or someone with authority with the client to walk the job with you personally and ask them to sigh off that all is done to their satisfaction. If no, then then list things that they want redone and complete them and again walk through. This leaves them no reason to delay payment.

Stringer

Aug 21, 2012, 09:36 PM
    No, they're not VCT, I know how to do that. They're like hardwood but not... they're woodlooking like pergo flooring style.
    Yes, I've read about the hot water extractor and plan to order one for another job within the next month.
    The sign off sounds like a good idea. The specs said they were a net 90... how common is that? Does that translate to not getting paid for 3 months?
    Business Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 09:50 PM
    No, they're not VCT, I know how to do that. They're like hardwood but not....they're woodlooking like pergo flooring style.
    Yes, I've read about the hot water extractor and plan to order one for another job within the next month.
    The sign off sounds like a good idea. The specs said they were a net 90....how common is that? does that translate to not getting paid for 3 months?
    Research the pergo online Venture to be sure; 'Cleaning pergo floors.'

Most on-going commercial cleaning is net 30, a few are net 60. Contractors though do like to stretch it some, yes it means three months. You possibly may have some options though; If you get the contract ask for half in 30 and the balance in 90, mention that over 60% of your cost is labor and that you have to pay that out immediately.

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How cleaning company find cleaning contracts? [ 12 Answers ]

How can I get cleaning contracts?

Company Introduction Letter (B2B) for a HR services outsourcing company [ 10 Answers ]

How can I make a good company Introduction letter (B2B), for a HR outsourcing company? Please help me out with any free samples.

During July, Neptune Company had actual sales of $144,000 compared to budgeted sales [ 1 Answers ]

During July, Neptune Company had actual sales of $144,000 compared to budgeted sales of 3) $156,000. Actual cost of goods sold was $108,000, compared to a budget of $109,200. Monthly Operating expenses, budgeted at $22,400, totaled $20,000. Interest revenue of $2,000 was earned During July but...

Tax law for outsourcing company from Colombia south america [ 1 Answers ]

Good afternoon. I am writing from Colombia and planning to open an outsourcing business in order to serv mortgage companies from NY and NJ - USA. I need to know what is the tax and operations law for this type of businessñ also how can I get paid by my clients in the US. I am a legal US...

Finding Sales for new Cleaning company [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I have recently started a commercial cleaning company. We've already done some one time jobs (clean-ups, strip and wax, etc.) and we have also picked up one monthly contract. We have done some cold calls but are still looking for some innovative ideas for advertising our services and...

View more questions Search