Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dscorson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2012, 11:11 PM
    Accounting Problem on contribution margin income
    I am having difficulties with the accounting problem below

Roland Andersson is the manager of the Ekland Division of Ystad Industries. He is one of several managers being considered for position of CEO, as the current CEO is retiring in a year.

All divisions use standard absorption costing. The division has the capacity to produce 50,000 units a quarter and quarterly fixed overhead amounts to $500,000. Variable production cost is $50 per unit. Ralph has been looking at the report for the first three months of the year and is not happy with the results.

Ekland Division

Income Statement

For the Quarter Ending March 31, 2011

Production: 25,000 units

Sales (25,000 units)
    $2,500,000

Cost of goods sold

Beginning inventory (10,000 units)
    $625,000

Production costs applied

Total
    $2,187,000

Less ending inventory

Gross profit

Selling & general expenses

Net income
    $438,000

The sales forecast for the second quarter is 25,000 units. Roland had budgeted second quarter production at 25,000 units but changes it to 50,000 units, which is total capacity for a quarter. The sales forecasts for each of the last two quarters of the year are also 25,000 units. Costs incurred in the second quarter are the same as budgeted, based on 50,000 units of production.

Required:

Computations:

Convert the above absorption income statement to a contribution margin income statement for the first quarter.
    Prepare absorption and contribution margin income statements for the second quarter.
    Compute production costs per unit for both approaches and for both years
    avie2013 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2012, 10:03 PM
    [QUOTE=dscorson;3032265]I am having difficulties with the accounting problem below

Roland Andersson is the manager of the Ekland Division of Ystad Industries. He is one of several managers being considered for position of CEO, as the current CEO is retiring in a year.

All divisions use standard absorption costing. The division has the capacity to produce 50,000 units a quarter and quarterly fixed overhead amounts to $500,000. Variable production cost is $50 per unit. Ralph has been looking at the report for the first three months of the year and is not happy with the results.
    jsmithandjsmith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2012, 08:26 PM
    Are you in ACC 501 with Dr. Moore? I have the same assingment only the variable cost is $45 per unit. Is it just me or is this class difficult? I have never been so stressed out about class before. Sorry I do not have an answer yet.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2012, 02:12 AM
    None of this is difficult you just need to realise you are one step further removed from your basic P&L than you were before. Convert everything to unit costs and prices

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I calculate contribution margin and contribution margin ratio [ 4 Answers ]

Proposal A Proposal B Proposal C Selling price $99 $129 $99 Variable cost 55 129 49 Contribution margin $44 $0 $50 Contribution margin ratio How do I calculate the contribution margin ratio and is the contribution margin correct? Thank you,

How do I make a contribution margin income statement [ 1 Answers ]

I was given: sales xxxx variable expenses xxxx fixed manufacturing expenses xxxx fixed selling and administrative expenses xxxx I won't put the unmbers since I am not looking for...

Contribution margin [ 1 Answers ]

When the total number of units sold increases, how does this affect contribution margin?

View more questions Search