Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ALarkin Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Feb 17, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Getting putty off pipe threads
    Hi all. Does anyone know of an easy way to get old plumbers putty off/out of pipe threads? I need to remove the locknut on a bathroom sink drainpipe, and the threads on the pipe are full of old, dry putty |:(

Thanks
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Feb 17, 2007, 02:10 PM
    I'm only guessing, but I usually just squirt penetrating oil at stuff like that.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 17, 2007, 02:11 PM
    Wire brush the putty off the threads. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water pipe touching fire sprinker pipe [ 6 Answers ]

I discovered why the water pressure in my fire prinkler system kept rising. It's because the hot water pipe is right up against the sprinkler pipe causing it to heat which then increases the pressure. Now can I wrap the pipe with insulation. Would this be a good fix? If so, should I wrap the hot...

Replace Lead Pipe from Toilet to Hubless Waste Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

My house is a craftsman style house from 1912 in Oakland, California. I have a big hole in a 24" horizontal lead pipe that bends at 90 degrees and connects the only toilet in the house to the hubless waste pipe. How do I go about removing the lead pipe? (What tools do I need and what type of...

Tapping in new drain pipe to old sewer pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install a new tub and shower in my basement. The old shower in the basement drained through a pvc pipe that ran on top of the basement floor directly to our floor drain. I have excavated a channel from the proposed tub site to the sewer pipe running from the first floor toilet to the...

Soil Stack Vent Pipe/Stench Pipe ( Smelly Drains ) [ 3 Answers ]

I have a downstairs toilet and upstairs toilet ,one above the other.. The soil/stench pipe connects upwards to above the Roof heaves and downward into the sewer... Coupled into the sewer also is a Gully trap drain to take sink and bath / shower wastes and from time to time , from that drain gully...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search