Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Feb 17, 2007, 01:20 PM
    RAID Configuration on Dell Dimension 8400
    Hello,

I want to wipe my main editing machine and put a RAID0 configuration on it to help boost performance with large video files. I currently have (1) 160GB and (2) 300GB SATA hard drives. The 160GB currently has the system files on it and the others are for storage.

How should I configure all three of these drives?

Can I keep the 160GB separate for the system files and then RAID the remaining two storage drives, or can I RAID them all together?

I know the RAID device is built into the motherboard but I don't know much else about it.

Other stuff: 1GB RAM, Win XP Pro, 3.2 GHz dual Pentium

Thanks!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 17, 2007, 02:33 PM
    There's two ways of doing RAID, software and hardware.
    Software is a simple case within admin tools > computer management.
    Just select the two drives and RAID from there.
    )ALL disc's must be dynamic.)
    Have a look here for further info
    Hardware is basically BIOS control, now this isn't your normal BIOS but the BIOS of a RAID controller card. Many newer machine can do RAID on SATA out of the box.

For RAID 0 or 1 (Stripped or Mirrored) both drives need to be tha same size and speed, so you 300's would work well.
    ALL of my servers are setup with RAID 1 for OS and RAID 5 for data, except my main ERP (big database) server which is setup with 4 pairs of RAID 0 drives. Tese are all hardware driven.

Feb 17, 2007, 02:48 PM
    Excellent, thank you very much...

OK, now using the hardware configuration, I need to know if I can use the 160 along with the 300's... whether all in the same raid or not... or can I use it separately and then raid just the 300's?

I'm trying to do the RAID for splitting the files on the hard drives, not mirroring. (Whatever that one is!)

Thanks again for your help - it is much appreciated.
    BossMan

Feb 17, 2007, 02:57 PM
    You can't use the 160 along with the 300's, well not actually true but you will end up with 3 160 drives, so a bit of a waste really.
    Best idea keep the 160 for OS and programs and RAID 0 (striped) the 300's, this will maximise the read/write speeds.
    A RAID 1 drive isn't really what you are looking for as this is for fault tolerance as the data is "mirrored" on two separate volumes. Great for when one fails you still have a fully working backup.

Hardware RAID is controlled by a RAID controller card and as such is OS independent, so as and when your OS goes TU your RAID configuration will be fine.

Feb 17, 2007, 03:34 PM
    OK, wasn't sure if I could keep the 160 separate from the 300's... that sounds like what I want to do though. Hopefully I'll get working on it tonight (if I get all my files backed up before then) and I'll let you know how it went.

Thanks again for your help!
    BossMan

Feb 17, 2007, 04:37 PM
    Check the link in post #2 as it explains all about RAID and dynamic disc's

Mar 11, 2007, 07:44 PM
    Haha, it's been nearly a month since I've responded, but it did work, and worked very well. I've noticed a huge difference in speed and response. Thank you!

I'd give you positive reputation, but it won't let me - I must have already gave you some on another question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One dimension kinetics [ 3 Answers ]

A bicyclist is finishing his repair of a flat tire when a friend rides by with a constant speed of 3.5m/s. Two seconds later the bicylicts hops on his bike and accelerates at 2.4m/s^2 until he catches his friend. (a) How much time does it take until he catches his friend? (b) How far has he...

Help, problems for 4600 dimension model dell computer [ 1 Answers ]

My computer just black out for like 7 days already First I start the computer, it runs the opening then it becomes black screen and shows " _ " I tried to reboot the computer and press f12 to boot In the number 5 click cd rom then run the CD(operation cd / recovery cd that dell has) ...

Enlarge a partition under RAID [ 9 Answers ]

Hello All Expert, I would like to repartition in my fileserver. It is because that the main partition "C" drive is not enough space to install new program. My fileserver has "C" and "D" drive, "C" install windows 2000 server and "D" keep all data. Moreover the Fileserver running under RAID 1...

Sata Raid [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Looking for a laymans explanation of SATA RAID and why it would be good to have in a Hi end DAW PC. Thanks Stu

Raid/sata150 [ 8 Answers ]

I need advice in regards to setting up RAID HDD configuration. I'm a gamer, only playing half-life, the machines primary use. Currently using a WD Raptor SATA/150 HDD. Will going to a RAID set up improve performance in this environment? Thx in advance. System profile: P4C 3.0 CPU Asus P4800...

View more questions Search