Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Feb 17, 2012, 04:01 PM
    How to pay off owed taxes
    First off--HI Y'ALL!

Secondly, I input all my numbers into one of those nifty online tax filing websites. Well, it tells me that I owe $218. So do all the other ones. I figured out WHY. What my question is though, how do I pay it? I was told that you only have to file every three years and that I could actually file last year's and this year's taxes next year and the numbers may even out so that I won't owe. I've changed my W4 so that the IRS is now taking more so that I have less of a chance of owing next year.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 17, 2012, 04:33 PM
    If you file electronically you can pay by credit card. If you file manually, send a check.
    Vision Expert

Feb 17, 2012, 04:38 PM
    I understand that. I was also told there is a way to make payments. I don't have that kind of money just floating around. Can I file next year?
    Vision Expert

Feb 17, 2012, 04:42 PM
    I suppose I phrased my question wrong, I'm not asking what type of currency to use to pay it. I'm asking can I make payments or can I file next year to balance out owing money? I claimed 3 and for some reason out of $2500 made at that job he took $54 in taxes. I had previously always claimed 3 and never owed. I always got around $400 back. Mind you, I owe money for one month of employment at this place.

Feb 17, 2012, 04:45 PM
    I don't know if they will accept payments for such a small amount.
    Vision Expert

Feb 17, 2012, 04:46 PM
    When you are living paycheck to paycheck $200+ is NOT a small amount.

How about filing next year?

I think I will just call a tax professional and ask what to do.

Feb 17, 2012, 05:02 PM
    Its not what YOU feel is a small amount, its what the IRS feels is a small amount.

As far as I know, you have to file every year you have earned income. But hopefully one of our tax experts will weigh in here.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 17, 2012, 05:24 PM
    Yes the IRS accepts payments. You can get that set up and then make the payments as you go. If your not working with a tax professional you can call or write the IRS to find out how much to send and how long it will last. Here is one such publication with the link in it to set it up.

Payment Options Available for Those Who Can?t Pay in Full
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Feb 17, 2012, 05:29 PM
    You need to file every year. If you don't pay the taxes you owe by the April deadline, you will have to pay a penalty/interest.
    Setting up an installment plan with the IRS costs at least $43 so it's not really worth it for $218 owed (It would be cheaper to pay a penalty).
    http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0, id=243335,00.html
    You have until April to pay the amount owed. Try to pay as much as you can to void the penalty.
    Vision Expert

Feb 17, 2012, 05:31 PM
    Okay. I will have to read that more throoughly. Is there a minimum amount to pay each month or do they work with you? Also, do you know about waiting until next year to file?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 17, 2012, 05:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    Okay. I will have to read that more throoughly. Is there a minimum amount to pay each month or do they work with you? Also, do you know about waiting til next year to file??
    Yes they will work with you but penalties etc still apply. Here is the form.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f9465.pdf

Just remember that they have to agree to it before it becomes a contract for payment. They will send you a letter confiming acceptance and then you make your payments from there.

Feb 17, 2012, 05:56 PM
    The minimum per month is $25 as far as I know. But you need to take the fee into account. Which in your case is almost 2% of the amount you know.
    If you wait to file until next year you have to pay a penalty for late filing and late paying.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 17, 2012, 05:57 PM
    Who ever told you that you could file every 3 years lied. You have to file every year.

Feb 17, 2012, 06:05 PM
    I meant the fee is almost 25% (not 2%) of the amount you owe.
    Vision Expert

Mar 23, 2012, 05:52 PM
    Actually, only two payments were allowed. $3.95 fee each. And there was no extension needing to be filed or penalties.
    Thanks guys.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes owed [ 2 Answers ]

{Property address removed}

Taxes owed: [ 1 Answers ]

Myself and my siblings inherited and sold property in New York, we each received a predetermined amount from the sell of this property do we have any taxes to pay 2010 resulting from the sell of this property we all live in Ohio, but one lives in NY

K1 Taxes Owed, I Think: What to do? How do I know? [ 3 Answers ]

I recently realized that money I was receiving from a trust was taxable income. I was an F1 student from Fall 2005 to Spring 2007, an F1 on OPT in July 2007, and an H1 since July 2008. My employer deducts taxes from my paycheck. What tax files do I file? Last year I filed a 1040NR-EZ and...

Am I owed Vacation Pay ? [ 2 Answers ]

Employed 17 yrs same company in PA. Laid off 9 months into 18th year Company policy reads IF EMPLOYEE LEAVES BEFORE THEIR ANNIVERSARY DATE, MANAGEMENT WILL NOT ISSUE ANY VACATION PAY Do they owe me accrued vacation pay because I did'nt leave I was forced out ?

Owed taxes [ 4 Answers ]

I am in the process of attempting to take care of all my tax issues and was told that I may possibly owe approximately $18,000.00 from 2003 due to capital gains what should I do there is no way I could pay that

View more questions Search