Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vicki1408 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2012, 10:12 AM
    Can I have my mom's ashes
    My friends mom died 2 years ago and her half-sister has the ashes,(the moms half sister) since then, my friends dad had died and according to his will, everything is left to my friend.
    She just needs to know if this includes her mothers ashes, as she desperately wants them reunited with her dads ashes.
    Has she any legal right to her moms ashes
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2012, 10:22 AM
    I would depend on how the ashes were handled when the mother passed away. If dad gave them to the sister, then they are hers and do not belong to his estate. If they did belong to him and now his estate, then whom they pass to would be governed by his will or intestate laws in your location. Your friend needs to find out how the ashes were handled when her mom passed away, but if her aunt has had them all this time, I would assume that it is because her father let the aunt have them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Human ashes [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there, My friend recently lost her partner and later he was cremated, his mother was still the 'next of kin', therefore she received the ashes. Then over a week later, the mother in law gave my friend half of the ashes to keep. The ashes look like gravel and not the powder that we expected....

Legal right to ashes [ 4 Answers ]

My sister passed away yesterday and I wondered who has the legal right to her ashes. She has a husband, but was very troubled and we feel he contributed to her overdose suicide death. Is there any time when the mother is given the ashes instead? Thank you

Dads Ashes [ 10 Answers ]

Good Afternoon, I live in ny, My dad passed away just last week and I was never acknowledged that I was his daughter, his girlfriend of 16 yrs was his beneficiary as well as the one who made his arrangements. There was an autopsy done after his death, I guess my question is who has the rights...

Brother won't leave mom's house after mom's death [ 3 Answers ]

Hello My mother died recently. My brother is the executor of the estate. He lived with my mother prior to her death. The will clearly states that of all of mom's posssessions go into an estate, get sold and then be evenly distributed among six siblings. My brother is refusing to put the...

Dads ashes [ 1 Answers ]

My Dad Got Diagnosed With Osophagus Cancer 4 Weeks Ago, And Also He Married 4 Weeks Ago. He Admit To Me He Married Her So That She Not Become Homelss, But It Was All Her Idea, And She Booked It All.he Died After 4 Weks Of Marriage Suddenly, Me And My Sisters Gave Her Her Place, Even When She Was...

View more questions Search