Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missclaudia Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Male Shar pei neutered wanting to mate!
    I need help!
    My 6 month old shar-pei is already neutered.
    I just brought home 4 weeks ago a mini daschund.
    He at first hated her and tried to bite her but now he wants to mate with her!
    He mounts her. He tries to roll with her and gently nip at each others neck.
    What should I do?
    Thanks,
    missclaudia
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2007, 12:44 PM
    If you looked at some the recent questions on this, you will see much of mating is really about dominance. I suspect you are going to have a difficult time with them. When you said she is 4 weeks old, that screams irresponsible breeder. No good breeder ever lets a puppy go before 6 weeks, and 7-8 is much better. Did he came from the same place or a similar one? Besides more physical problems, puppies from low quality breeders have more behavior problems. Watch them carefully and never leave them alone together. When you see him mount her, say ''Ut, ut, ut!'' and offer him a toy.

Check out the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802 Also the section on housebreaking.

Post back after reading them if you need help with any details.

I am sorry I misread your question. Thank Rubypitbull for calling my attention to it. What I said about bringing puppies home too early is true, but should not apply to your post.

What I said about watching them and correcting him still applies
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2007, 09:03 PM
    I agree with labman regarding the correction for the mounting.

It is most definitely a dominance issue. Your dog is upset that another dog is in the home and he is letting her know that he is above her in rank. You need to correct him as labman suggested, every time he starts it. Watch him closely for a while. This takes time. I still haven't been able to fully stop mine. She does it when she feels I pay too much attention to another dog. Notice I say, "she." This is not a gender specific problem, and is not about sex. Please read the link that labman has provided.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Spayed male dog humping other male dogs. Why? [ 3 Answers ]

My male dog mixed boston terrier/pug. He has been spayed at 4 months old. He never bother females dogs. But when a small male dog comes around he wants to hump her all the time. Why is that? How can I break him from it? I though once spayed they do not have the desire to hump. And why he only...

Mini Daschund and Shar-pei [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 5 month old shar-pei and a 6 week old mini daschund. We just got the Daschund today. My question is how do I start to introduce them? Slowly or what?https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/images/smilies/confused.gif Sometimes my shar-pei can get too excited and lick or sniff to hard and...

Puppy neutered... a few ?'s [ 2 Answers ]

my 7 month old mini doxie got neurtered today and i just picked him up....hes a little shaky, is this nervousness or soreness or not normal? hes bin licking his stitches a little too...how much is too much? wat should i do if he is licking too much?? thanks and ill let u kno if i have any more ?'s...

Dog Neutered [ 3 Answers ]

Our black lab Tiko has just come back from the vet after staying overnight after his surgery... he is doing fine... a little groggy and sore but no other issues... the vet did recommend to limit his activities to on leash walking for a few days... My question is now that he is neutered will we be...

Dog getting neutered [ 9 Answers ]

Hi all, we are getting our 8 month old lab neutered on Thursday. He will be staying overnight at the vet. Couple questions that I had: What should we expect behaviour wise when we get him back? Should we be prepared for any abnormalities? We have noticed in the last day that he is trying to...

View more questions Search