Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ms_Mesha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2007, 10:16 AM
    I would like some response regarding certain paintings
    Hi ya's, Is anyone familiar with the " Barn Paintings or sings" on many of the Amish/ Penn. Dutch barns and buildings that... I have beentold are to ward off the " EVIL EYE " I am a starving artist lol and doing some work on a very old barn in Hapy Camp, Ca. If any one knows anything... the history of these signs or other " Evil Eye defences lol please do respond, Thank you very much, Ms. Mesha
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2007, 08:52 PM
    Hi Ms. Mesha! I think this link should help you get started:

Pennsylvania "Dutch" Hex Signs - Barn Signs - Folk Art Decor - Traditional Hand Drawn and Hand Painted Folk Art

Hope this helps.
    Irulan Posts: 92, Reputation: 17

Jun 23, 2008, 08:56 PM
    The Penn Dutch/Amish Hex sings have nothing to do with superstition.

About 300 years ago, groups of peasant farmers from the Rhine region of Germany migrated to southeastern Pennsylvania. These settlers came to take advantage of religious freedom being offered by William Penn. They included settlers of plain dress -Amish and Mennonites - and others of more "worldly" or "fancy" dress - Lutherans and other Reformed groups. Over time, these settlers became known as "Pennsylvania Dutch".

Likeother immigrants, they brought their old world language, dress, traditions and art to their new home. Mystical bird and floral designs graced their birth and marriage certificates, family Bibles, quilts, and some furniture. The "fancy" farmers also decorated their large German style bank barns with colorful geometric patterns. Six-pointed star designs were very popular. The German word for six, "sechs", sounded like hex to their English-speaking neighbors. In time these "hex" patterns became commonly called hex signs. This custom persists today.

These bright, colorful designs had meanings or legends. Families selected a hex sign based on color, design and its meaning. Some of the more popular symbols included: hearts for love, birds (called distelfinks) for luck and happiness, tulips for faith, and stars for good luck. The colors used for painting were also carefully chosen because of their added meaning. Blue conveyed protection, white purity, green abundance and red strong emotion. The hex symbols were individually hand painted for many years. This approach, naturally very time consuming, limited hex sign use and enjoyment even in the Dutch Country.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Certain keyboard keys stopped working (be glad it isn't yours) [ 21 Answers ]

once upon a time, there were 102 happy little keys that all worked on my creative prodikeys keyboard. The all of a sudden, bammy, the r, y, h, 7, I, and the k keys died. This happened when I was using my computer. A while later, the keys worked again. I said to myself that ''this must be a driver...

View more questions Search