Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gwynnie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2012, 12:17 PM
    Mt tropical fish are floating on the top
    I've done a 50% water change and the amonia is still high please help I've lost 4 fish so far don't want to loose any more
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2012, 01:08 AM
    How many fish do you have in your tank and how large is it? The most common cause of ammonia poisoning is too many fish in the tank dirtying it and the filter just can't keep up resulting in the good bacteria dying. Another problem is dropping too many new fish in a tank at once or overfeeding.

You need to get the Ph levels around 7 or below (ammonia is more potent above Ph 7) and buy an ammonia treatment from the pet store.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tropical fish tank filter cycle. [ 1 Answers ]

Ive just recently brought a 64ltr fish tank, I've run it for around 4 days until I put my first batch of fish in which were 4 mollys. Ive been adding the bacteria as stated and after around 7 more days I brought 6 corydoras. Iam NOT going to add any more fish now until the filter has been...

Tropical fish tank [ 1 Answers ]

I have just brought a fish tanks and set it all up to have tropical fish in but the water doesn't aper to be heating up the themonter is reading the rite temp but the water still fells cold

Moving tropical fish [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I'm thinking of moving to a different address quite soon. I have a large tank full of tropical fish and would appreciate some advice on how to transport them to my new address without killing them. The tank is a big one and very heavy so it isn't possible to carry it with any amount of water in...

Fish Floating At The Top Not Dead though what's Wrong? [ 3 Answers ]

My fish keeps on going up to the top of the tank and staying there.I think I've read somewhere that they do this when there over fed but I'm not sure.It acts like it needs to breath fresh air instead of water. It just floats at the top and then dives back down its head is allways pointing up like...

Wholesale tropical fish equipment and supplies [ 1 Answers ]

Hi rick... I'm interested in getting information on wholesale tropical fish keeping equipment and supplies

View more questions Search