Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frankf772000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2012, 05:56 PM
    Hook up a vintage phone
    Im trying to hook up a vintage phone the wite to the phone only has a red,yellow,and green connect.The wires from the wall have a red,yellow,green and black. I hooked up the colors to match except the black. The phone can dial and receive but there is no ring what should I do
    frankf772000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2012, 06:04 PM
    I am connecting a 1950s vintage phone the wire only holds 3 internal colors red green and yellow. The wall jack has red green yellow and black. I hooked up the colors except black. The phone works but the ringer doesn't. What am I doing wrong
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2012, 06:38 PM
    Modern House phones use 1 pair. Pay phones used 3 conductors for ground start.

Frank, you should have posted elsewhere, this may help:

http://www.porticus.org/bell/pdf/502-521-410.pdf

And this page:

http://www.porticus.org/bell/telephones-wiring.html

Not sure if you need a transformer with those, I got into phones just after these were around.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to hook up 2 phone lines [ 7 Answers ]

Trying to hook up 2 phone lines and all I see is different colored wires coming in from the ceiling

Hook up hot/cold and drain on floor above current washer hook up [ 1 Answers ]

Currently have washer and dryer in the basement. Would like to hook up washer and dryer immediately above these in my garage. The current drain system to the washer and dryer does not have a vent, do I need to add one. If I run the drain for the washer in the garage can it be connected to the...

Land phone repairwhat to do when the phone line from phone needs a new plg [ 2 Answers ]

Why isn't my modular plug working from my phone

Hook up for dsl phone jack? [ 4 Answers ]

I ordered high speed internet from AT&T although I do not have AT&T for phone service. The tech installed what he calls a dry loop, and then told me that I have to run a phone jack to that line. The problem is, he worked outside, and I do not know what terminal to hook up the jack to. Any ideas...

View more questions Search