Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweb428 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2012, 04:10 PM
    How long does it take for fertility to happen?
    Hi I am 24 years old and never been pregnant before. I know my period and my cycle but I don't track my ovulation and when it comes to ovulation I don't exactly know when I do or how to know when I do. My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex about 13-14 days after the start of my last period. I have been doing some reading about ovulation. I'm am curious about how long fertilization takes to happen. Does it take days or hours? I did not plan for this to happen and I don't know what to think or expect. I thought about taking the plan b pill but it has been 3 days since we had sex will it even have an effect at this point if I was ovulating when we had sex?
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Feb 14, 2012, 11:22 AM
    Once you ovulate, the egg may live for 24-36 hours. Sperm can live for up to 5 days. Fertilization would have to take place while the egg is still "alive". IF it is, it will implant between 7-10 days after you ovulate. That's the approximate time a HPT would work, which is why they recommend testing once your period is late. Before that any hormone might very well be too small to register accurately on the test.
    So, if you know when you ovulate the egg could be fertilized within aprox 1-2 days and then implantation would be a week or so after that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long will it take me to conceive or can I get a doctor to check my fertility? [ 2 Answers ]

Right so I'm 18 years old, I hade the contraceptive implant put in September 2010 and taken out march 2011 since then me and my boyfriend have been trying to conceive but with no luck I'm starting to get really worried and was wondering if it is just not the right time or could I go to my GP and...

Fertility [ 39 Answers ]

I had a pelvic exam and my doctor requested for a pelvic ultra sound because I have been known to have ovarian cysts. :eek: I have to wait for the hospital to call me in order to let me know when they have an opening to do my ultra sound. Does anybody know what the first steps they take with...

Fertility [ 1 Answers ]

I have been on high blood pressure medication for the past month or so and I have noticed that I have a white milky discharge coming from both nipples if I squeeze them I read that high blood pressure medication can cause this. Is that true and does it affect fertilty?

Fertility [ 5 Answers ]

Can you get pregnant anytime you have sex? Or just during those days that you ovulate? My friend needs answers. And I'm just as confused.

View more questions Search