Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    badatphysics Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2012, 11:20 PM
    Hard Physics question?
    Secret Agent Jane Pond is testing out a new particle ray gun. She knows the particles in the ray have charge -2e and a mass of 50u. (u = atomic mass unit.) To determine the speed of the particles in the ray, Jane needs a region of uniform electric field. She takes two very large uniformly charged sheets with charge densities of /- Q, and arranges the sheets so that the positive sheet is horizontal and the negative sheet makes a 60 degrees angle with the horizontal. She then shoots the particle ray through the region of space between the sheets, entering the region 1.0 mm vertically from the horizontal sheet and 4.0 mm horizontally to the side of the intersection point, with an initial velocity parallel to the intersection axis. (a) Find an expression for the net electric field at the entry point, ignoring edge effects. (i.e. you can treat the sheets as infinite.) Your answer should be in terms of Q and q0. (b) Which sheet will the particle ray ultimately strike? Explain how you know. (c) Jane finds that the location where the ray hits the sheet is 5.0 cm from the entry edge of the sheet. If Q=25 nC/m2, what is the initial speed of the particles in the ray?

Check out some similar questions!

Hard physics question [ 31 Answers ]

Could you answer this question for me please? It is the hardest question one may get about young modulus, elasticity ecc.

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

Hard physics [ 5 Answers ]

A diver jumps vertically with a velocity of 4.0m/s from a platform and enters the water 1. seconds later. If she falls with an acceleration due to gravity of 9.8 m/s^2, what is her final velocity?

Really Hard Physics [ 2 Answers ]

A harmonic wave is traveling along a rope. The oscillator that generates the wave completes 46.0 vibrations in 25.6 s. A given crest of the wave travels 402 cm along the rope in a time of 13.1 s. What is the wavelenght? Answer in units of m.

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.