Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chshanks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2012, 03:58 PM
    Query on filing tax returns
    Hi, I came to US in September 2011 on H1 with my wife. We went to a tax expert to guide us through the benefits of filing tax jointly. As per him, my wife needs to apply for SSN which is 'Not authorized to work' type SSN. However, I told him that I believe it is not valid to apply for SSN as she is on H4; but he was not convinced. He also added that I cannot file an ITIN for her and SSN is mandatory to apply. Also, he mentioned that I don't fall under the 1040EZ and fall under the 1040NR which is chargeable. He also could not provide us an approximate charge for 1040NR as that is system calculated.

Please help me how should I proceed with filing the tax return.
    AliTax Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2012, 08:29 AM
    ITINs are for persons who are not allowed to work, but who need to file a tax return. If you file as a nonresident you may not file jointly. She will not need to file anything if she had no gross income.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2012, 03:03 PM
    You need to find yourself another tax expert; the one you are seeing does NOT know what he is talking about.

You can file jointly with your wife and you both CHOOSE to be treated as resident aliens. This will allow you to claim the $11,600 joint standard deduction plus two $3,700 personal exemptions (for yourself and your wife).

To apply for an ITIN, you need to complete Form W-7 for your wife. You need to make a photocopy of her passport, then get the photocopy notarized. This can be done at your local bank in most states in the U.S.

The downside is that:

• You must wait until sometine in May 2012 to meet the Substantial Presence Test before you can file for Tax Year 2010. You should file an extension (Form 4868).

• You must declare ALL 2011 world-wide income (wife's home country income, if applicable). There is an offset available by either claiming the Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116).

Even with the downside, this is probably the best way for you to file.

If you want my professional help, double-click on my title above and scroll down to my profile/signature. You will find my email address and websites there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Query on F-1 status, CPT and related tax returns [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Expert, I came to USA in Sep 2009 on F-1 Visa from India and finished my education in Dec 2010 in the state of IL. From June 2010 to Dec 2010, I was doing an internship on CPT authorization in the same state. During this, my spouse was my dependent on F-2 visa. I also paid $22,156 as...

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

Filing Tax returns on H1 with spouse in India during the tax period. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I know that this question might have been answered already. But I couldn't find a proper answer anywhere. Here is my case. I started working in US in April 2008 and got married in Nov 2008. My wife joined me here in US in March 2009. I would like to know: Am I eligible to file my...

L1/L2 Filing tax returns [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US on March 6th 2006 on a H-1 visa. On Sep 1st 2006 my wife joined from on a H-4B dependent visa. I am staying and working in New Jersey state since the day I came to US in 2006. I have never been to US in the year 2004 and 2005. On Oct 2006 my visa L-1 petition got approved...

Query Regarding the Tax Returns [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I came to US (State - Massachusetts) on December 1st 2006 on a H1B visa. Because I got my ssn in January only , I got the salary of December 2006 on Jan 31st. It seems I will not be eligible for the W2 form of year 2006 from my employer, as the December 2006 salary got processed in Jan 2007...

View more questions Search