Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrbeto Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2007, 06:27 PM
    Get married
    I have been living with my girlfriend for 17 years should we get married.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 16, 2007, 06:38 PM
    Yes, it will give her rights to benefits if you die, if for no other reason.

Since you are as it appears in a life long relationship. It should not change the relationship put it does give each other some legal benefits at the death of the other spouse.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2007, 06:43 PM
    If for no other reason, to give you both legal rights when it comes to deciding end of life decisions and after.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Feb 16, 2007, 06:49 PM
    I don't know what prompts people to live together that long without marriage. I don't think I would do it but if I did, I wouldn't marry just for the sake of legalities. In many places you may already be considered spouses by common law just for the lengthy cohabitation. You can easily stipulate in living wills most everything to and for your partner that a spouse may have, except for Social Security benefits being inherited from a partner who died. So if money from that is not a concern, why do it now?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting Married! [ 9 Answers ]

I met my wonderful fiancé 10 months ago and we are planning to get married on our 1 year anniversary which is in August. I am 19 and he is 35, but I really do not think the age matters although some people say it does. I was wondering cause we :eek: cannot decide where to get married at:eek: . I...

Should I get married? [ 15 Answers ]

Here's my problem: I'm in the us army reserves and my unit has been called on active duty, now that I'm going to be leaving for a year my boyfriend wants to get married. I've been with my boyfriend for going in 2yrs. And we know in our hearts that we want to spend the rest of our lives...

Married or not? [ 1 Answers ]

I was married in April of 84' but was never registered at the courthouse in my County, Im I married or not? The reason I ask is I'm doing my own Divorce and just found out this information, where do I go to find answer's. Thanks for any answers... :confused:

Why did I get married? [ 9 Answers ]

I am 28 years old and when I met my husband 5 years ago he was perfect. 3years into the relationship I got pregnant and about 3 months later married. When I had my beautiful baby boy he was hardly around because he was in the police academy. I would only see him on weekends. So I decided to move...

View more questions Search