Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    repairman_red Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2012, 08:33 AM
    Will an oil-based paint cover a latex paint?
    Will an oil-based cover a latex ceiling paint? I have a customer that had some ceilings painted and there is now moisture damage showing through the paint. Will an oil-based sealant/primer (such as kilz or pro-bloc) adhere to the latex painted ceilings?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 12, 2012, 08:41 AM
    Yes it will ahere to it. But its strengh is only as good as its base. So if your going to use those products and there is still a problem then it can still bubble away from the wall. The latex is the base any way you look at it.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2012, 07:11 AM
    Not usually done as oil based paints rely on absorption into the surface and latex paint will most likely stop it. Have thou stopped the source oof water? I'd try some KilzII and let dry well, a couple of coats.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 13, 2012, 08:36 AM
    Kilz comes in several variations and not all are suited for your situation, some are water based. Like ma0641 says try kilz II or Kilz Complete.
    repairman_red Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2012, 07:14 AM
    Thanks to all three answers; I used Kilz original, as it was all I could find in my area on short notice and little money. I hope this resolves my problem so I can on to other things. I thank you all again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Latex Paint Down the Drain [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. Yesterday a half gallon of latex paint accidentally spilled down my kitchen sink. I immediately ran hot water down the sink, and there was (and still is not) no clogging or back-up, so I assumed everything was fine. Today, my Super came to my apt, brought me to the basement, and showed me...

Polyeurathene over oil based paint [ 1 Answers ]

I have sanded and painted using an oil based paint a church communion table (needed to make it look like walnut; therefore I used a black and brown). Should I use a coating over it to help it from scratching and resist any moisture?

Eagle Project - Re-painting a locker room that has oil based paint [ 1 Answers ]

I am working on my Eagle Project for Boy Scouts and part of my project is re-painting the boys locker room in my school. It currently has oil-based paint on the walls. I would like to use Latex paint for the ease of use and clean up but am unsure of the process for painting over oil based paint. ...

Latex or oil , old paint [ 4 Answers ]

I need to paint over woodwork and don't know if it is oil or latex. What should I do?

Commercial oil-based v.s artist's oil paint [ 1 Answers ]

I am painting on interior brick, already painted with oil-base commercial and wish to use commercial oil-base paint because I think it is more durable than artist's paints, i.e. dusted, perhaps even washed. Is there something I can use to thicken it, thus allowing it to work more like artist's...

View more questions Search