Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Feb 11, 2012, 04:52 PM
    Fernco waxless seal-good/bad?
    Any of you pro plumbers/handyman have any experience, good or bad,with the Fernco waxless toilet seal? I heard waxless seals had some problems in the past, but it looks like some major improvements and code acceptance.

http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/resid...ee-toilet-seal
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 11, 2012, 04:58 PM
    Never have used one, or seen one firsthand for that matter. Curious to see what the other pros here have to say about them.

Feb 11, 2012, 05:06 PM
    I've only seen them on the Fernco site, none of the home stores carry them. Guess the wax ring is still popular.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2012, 05:15 PM
    Hello Shader, see the image below, Is this what you are talking about?
    Attached Images

Feb 11, 2012, 07:16 PM
    afaroo, yes, that's it. I posted the Fernco link in my question, maybe you missed it. Any experience with these? Thanks...
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 11, 2012, 07:30 PM
    No experience with them Shader, but I have played with them at a parts counter and from what I can tell they are going to be great for new toilet installations into PVC or ABS pipe.

I would not advise using these with toilets that have been previously installed with a wax gasket or with older cast iron flanges/pipes.

I have yet to use one of them as I am almost always working with older toilets or in remodel conditions where a wax gasket was previously used... and when I did have a new situation (PVC and new toilet) I just don't seem to remember these until it is too late! Maybe next time, cause as I said, looks like a great product for new installations??

Hope that helps a bit!

Mark
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2012, 12:50 AM
    Hello Shader,

Please go with Massplumber advice he is the master, Thans.

John

Feb 12, 2012, 10:21 AM
    Mass plumber,
    Thanks for the info. One toilet will be on the old cast iron so I'll stick with the wax. The original install was back in the mid 60s & they used plumbers putty. The other two are on new PVC so I think I'll give the Ferncos a try. Thanks again for the info, especially on the cast iron set up...
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 12, 2012, 01:28 PM
    Shader, after you try them let us know what you think, OK?

Thanks guys!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad drian seal on oatey snap on. Can't get it of with out breaking it [ 2 Answers ]

The drrian cover turns but I can't pop it up how do I get it of

How to tell if a seal is bad on dual-pane, vinyl windows? [ 9 Answers ]

I know from washing windows last spring that I have at least 3 Vinyl Windows that have a bad seal, since they looked hazy or dirty, even after cleaning both sides very well. I was dumb... I didn't tag the windows. I want to get them replaced, but I can't recall which windows are bad. Is...

Getting a good seal with a Neoprene Coupling to an old Iron Pipe [ 1 Answers ]

As discussed in several of the questions & answers, I am trying to use a neoprene coupling to connect an older cast iron 4" pipe to a replacement section of PVC - below grade. I have cut back the cast iron pipe a couple of times; the pipe is sound but the outside surface is not smooth enough to...

Toilet Drain Leak - Bad Seal? [ 7 Answers ]

My home is 5 years old - first plumbing problem. Our first floor half-bath. I noticed a mold ring forming around the base of the toilet. It's coming from underneath the flooring. No smells/odor - yet. After reading other posts - I'm going to try to remove the toilet, inspect the seal /...

View more questions Search