Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KellyC7 Posts: 33, Reputation: 6

Feb 11, 2012, 12:11 PM
    Am I freaking out for no reason? Is pregnancy even possible here?
    Hi! About a month ago my boyfriend and I had unprotected intercourse for the first time.. about two days following my last period. We trust each other and are clean, so there is no worry about disease. Prior to intercourse, we were out and there was no previous ejaculation that had not been cleansed. He withdrew in plenty of time and I know where the whole thing went. However, I have never had unprotected sex before and have been freaking out wondering if there's still any chance of pregnancy. We're serious, but not ready for a child. I saw my gynecologist and told her what happened, and she didn't seem to concerned (but encouraged me to exercise precaution in the future, which I will)... she still wrote me my first prescription for Nuvaring. My weight was 110lbs at the gynecologist, when it is usually about 116... it was a little alarming because I don't know how I lost that. My class schedule has changed from evenings to mornings this semester, and naturally my sleep schedule has changed as well. On top of all of this, I took two first response pregnancy tests (one around noontime, and one with first morning urine), both showing a negative result. In your opinion, are those things causing the delay in menstruation? Or could I be pregnant? Am I freaking out for no reason? Help!
    mamaof2boys Posts: 220, Reputation: 25

Feb 11, 2012, 12:18 PM
    All of those things could cause delay in your period. However ANY TIME you have sex, protected or not, you can get pregnant. Any time in your cycle, no matter what form of birth control you use. The only way to 100% prevent pregnancy is abstaining from sex. My husband and I are expecting our 4th child that we conceived the day after my period, while using the nuva ring properly.

Feb 11, 2012, 12:26 PM
    I haven't used it yet, but that's frightening and I'll definitely consider using an additional method as well, thank you for the information. How long had you been on it prior to conception?

Do you think it's possible for me to be pregnant currently? Even after my gyno gave me the prescription and the pregnancy tests I took were both negative? I am truly aware of what the possible outcome is and will be taking whatever safety measures necessary, but would ideally like an honest answer that may help put my mind at ease and allow menstruation to occur.

Feb 11, 2012, 12:30 PM
    I was on it for 4 months. It is possible to have negative tests and still be pregnant. Did she tell you to start the nuva ring right away or after your next period? Right now you'll just have to wait and see if your next period comes and if not test again. It's a lot of waiting, I know. But it also is not uncommon for your cycle to be delayed or even miss a month. It can happen for many reasons. If you can't wait until next month see if you can get a blood test at your Dr. Good luck!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 11, 2012, 12:34 PM
    Any time you have penile insertion there is the risk of pregnancy. No method of. Roth control is 100%.

But risk would seem to be minimal in your case.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 11, 2012, 12:37 PM
    Pregnancy is definitely a possibility, but you'll have to wait and see. Some women never get a positive using a home pregnancy test. How many days late is your period?

Wait until your next period is due and if you miss that one then test again, or go to your doctor for a more accurate blood test.

Just keep in mind that any time you have sex, even if you use three or more forms of birth control, you can still get pregnant. It does lower the odds, but it doesn't take away the risk completely. There's no such thing as safe sex, so you have to be prepared for a pregnancy if you want to continue being sexually active.

Feb 11, 2012, 12:43 PM
    She did tell me to start Nuvaring a couple days after this coming period is supposed to arrive. Wow, after this, would you recommend a different form of birth control specifically? (Sorry for all the questions! I'm very curious.) It really is a lot of waiting, and I've been freaking out like no other. ): Thank you for the reassurance though, a bunch of changes have happened at once and unfortunately our first time was unplanned and last month on top of the rest of them!

Scott, thank you. Yes, I've never not played it safe which is the main cause for me being frantic currently.

Feb 11, 2012, 12:48 PM
    Alty, my period is only a couple of days late, but I'm afraid I'm delaying it by worrying about it so much. I get my period monthly, but don't usually keep track of the exact date. I'm guessing I have a 30-35 day cycle. It's driving me crazy because I can't remember if the pre-ejaculate happened before we even began, it very well may have which would seriously lessen my worry as well. I've never, ever had this concern before.

Feb 11, 2012, 12:53 PM
    It's not just the nuva ring that can fail. There are multiple women on here who were on various forms of birth control and using condoms and still got pregnant. Not trying to scare you, just want you to know the facts.

Feb 11, 2012, 01:02 PM
    I appreciate it. I've done some research on the success rates as well as talking to my gynecologist -- including reading studies about withdrawal and how it can fail or be effective (not a method we will continue to use). I know the only 100% way is abstinence, and the next best method (in terms of contraceptive effectiveness) is probably IUD insertion. I feel awful resorting to an online forum to have these questions answered, and even worse that this is such a worry stemming from our first time together in this manner (we've been together for a while, and have waited, but couldn't hold ourselves back one night).

Feb 11, 2012, 01:09 PM
    Well whether you're pregnant or not you can't change it now. You seem like a smart girl willing to educate yourself about this. Just remember how you feel now and know you don't want to feel this way again. Keep us posted!
    Pets Expert

Feb 11, 2012, 01:09 PM
    Stress can definitely cause you to miss a period, or be late for your period.

Don't feel bad about asking your question here. You got lucky, this is a great site, with great people, and they know what they're talking about. I just wish we could tell you for sure that you're not pregnant. Sadly that's not something that's within our power. ;)

I know that waiting is hard. The thing is, at only a few days late, it's probably not the best time to test. Most women don't get a positive that early. Some women never get a positive with an hpt.

Really the only thing you can do right now is wait. It sucks, but that's your only option at this time. Wait another week, 2 is better. If you still haven't gotten your period then try testing again. If it's negative then wait to see what happens with your next period. If you miss that one too then I would definitely go to the doctor for a blood test.

For now, try to relax and not stress about it. I know it's easier said than done, but if you are pregnant you have options. If you're not then you're not doing yourself any good stressing about it, and the stress could very well be what's delaying your period.

So, deep breaths, put it out of your mind as best you can, and then wait and see what happens.

Keep us posted. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 11, 2012, 01:13 PM
    Basically no form of birth control is 100 percent. Rings, pills, condoms all have failure rates. It would be best to also use the condom with the ring.

But you can get pregnant anytime, and there are at times sperm in the early fluids, so yes you could be. You will need to wait another week and if no period test again with first urine of the morning

Feb 11, 2012, 01:20 PM
    Oh, I definitely want to educate myself as best (and fairly) as I can! Thank you guys, very much. I wish you could tell me too! I took the First Response Early Result (6 days before first missed period), and there was no question to the negative lines... it went negative on both tests immediately! I picked that one up because most women seem to have better luck with them, according to studies and opinions. I also noticed a week or two ago that I was ovulating, with no spotting or any other pregnancy symptoms. I wish my mind would be satisfied with this though! I will definitely keep you guys posted. Thank you for all of your help, again.
    Pets Expert

Feb 11, 2012, 01:29 PM
    The First Response Early result test seems to be all the rage now, but it's not as accurate as people seem to think.

Waiting another week or two is really your best bet, and remember, relax, and put it out of your mind. Also, make sure you're eating right and getting plenty of rest, because that could also be why you're late.

We women have complex bodies. Throw one thing off and everything seems to go out of whack. Stress, illness, weight loss, weight gain, medication, you name it, can all throw off our menstrual cycles. But then, so can pregnancy. I know the waiting game sucks. I've been there. But it will be over soon and then you should know for sure what's going on. :)

Feb 11, 2012, 01:49 PM
    You're telling me, Alty! I'm such a skeptic, that's how I landed here. =P The early pregnancy symptoms are so grey because they are so similar to normal pregnancy symptoms! It really probably is the weight loss and schedule change that has been successfully throwing my cycle off then. Those are two things that were pretty consistent beforehand (especially my weight).

Feb 11, 2012, 01:51 PM
    To normal PMS symptoms.*** Whoops, that's what happens when "pregnancy" is on the brain. But thank you very much for your advice, very comforting.

Feb 15, 2012, 04:21 PM
    Hi Guys! I just wanted to update you, after all, my cycle was late this month (clearly due to the other changes and anxiety about it in general)! (: We are both very relieved. It came on Valentine's Day (figures!). Earlier that day I went and took a blood test at my doctor, so I got pricked for no reason but oh well.

I hope all is well with you guys, and thanks again for your input, it certainly helped a great deal, and we're doing whatever we can to be safe until we're ready. (:
    Pets Expert

Feb 15, 2012, 04:32 PM
    That's great news. I should have guessed it would come on Valentine's day. Just mother natures little way of sticking out her tongue at you. ;)

I'm glad it all worked out.

Stick around on the site. I enjoy your posts, and you're obviously a very smart girl. There are other people coming here for help. Maybe you can find a few questions where you could offer some advice.

Hope to see you around the site. :)

Feb 15, 2012, 08:13 PM
    BIG TIME! She has a sense of humor and I love her!

Thank you very much, I really appreciate that. You know, that's a good idea... it's definitely a more productive hobby. (:

Also, it's funny that you're a Pets Expert because I'm a dog walker and pet sitter and have my newly adopted black lab/great pyrenees mix pup sitting next to me right now. (:

Definitely, maybe we can team up on some!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please help us! I'm freaking out [ 9 Answers ]

OK well me amd my girlfriend got naked for the first time and she was laying on top of me. Then I noticed precum on my penis.im not sure but I think some touched her vagina.. she just got of her period 4 days earlier and she sometimes gets them once every 2 months.I made her wash the area like 15...

Freaking out! [ 5 Answers ]

So I don't know what the deal is, because some signs of Anemia are similar to signs of pregnancy. I have sore breasts. I haven't started my period yet, but it's irregular so it may be too early to tell. I feel sharp pains near my uterus. (could be a cyst, I hope not) I'm constantly physically...

I'm freaking out! [ 23 Answers ]

I'm freaking out!! I don't know what to do. I was under the impression that my ex wasn't ready to be in a relationship because he was so poor he couldn't even eat!! He couldn't get himself out of debt to go to school and just that he wasn't where he needed to be to be good to me. But then after he...

I'm freaking out! [ 1 Answers ]

I'm freaking out. It's been about 11 days since I took my last pill but before that I missed the last one before the hormonal free week(october 7) and I started the next pack a day late. My period isn't due for about another 11 days so a test is definitely out of the question at this point. My...

Freaking out now [ 12 Answers ]

OK I'm in my house alone I'm used to hearing foot steps and doors opeaning every once in a while but this is just crazy I was waching TV heard foot steps behind me and the lights when on and off it wasn't flickering the swich clicked like it does when people turn them off then they clicked back on...

View more questions Search