Feb 10, 2012, 02:09 PM
    Combo Circuit
    I-------I------------I
    I... I... I
    9V... 680ohm... 330ohms
    I... I... I
    I... I... 150ohms
    I-------I------------I

The I's, dashes, and values represent a circuit. The periods are there to fill in the space. What is the voltage, current, and power of each resistor?
    nfoland Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2012, 02:12 PM
    It didn't make the image like I wanted it to. The 150 ohm and 330 ohm resistors are suppose to be in the same line with the 330 on top of the 150.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 10, 2012, 02:33 PM
    I redrew the circuit to make it clearer. First start with the 680 ohm resistor. Since it's connected directly to the battery, the voltage across it is 9 volts. You can find current from Ohm's law (V=iR) and power from either or .

For the resistors on the right recall that two resistors in series are like one resistor of value R1 + R2. That single equivalent resistor is connected directly to 9 volts, so the current flow from Ohm's Law is

Now for power - there are two ways to do this:
    a) since you now know the current flow through the two resistors, you can use and

b) or you could recognize that the voltage drops across resistor 1 and 2 are:

Then use :

and .

I suggest practicing both methods so you are comfortable with them.
    Attached Images

nfoland Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2012, 01:17 AM
    Thank you so much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a Murray circuit breaker panel and want to add a circuit for a 3 prong elec dr [ 3 Answers ]

I have an electric 3 pronged dryer that I want to add a circuit for on my Murray Circuit Panel. What kind of switch do I need?

Circuit Breaker trips because two bathrooms and master bedroom on same circuit [ 6 Answers ]

Some electrician committed a blunder in my opinion about 17 years ago. The master bedroom and two full bathrooms are all on the same circuit. If two hair dryers are used at the same time, it will trip the breaker every time. In figuring out what amperage would be required for two hair dryers and...

Can circuit work well if we connect 12A load to 20A circuit? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello: I have several equipment which are around 12A. I just can connect them to 20A circuit. But I am not sure if circuit will trip well under overload and short circuit. I know 15A is perfect.But,I don't have 15A circuit Thanks for everybody.

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

View more questions Search