Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oohunter Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2012, 07:43 AM
    Urine bac testing?
    Which states use urine bac testing and of these which use the first void before empting the bladder to test? Can your blood alcohol and the alcohol in your urine be different?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2012, 07:52 AM
    All states use urine to determine BAC. Blood tests are either voluntary or by court order. There is no way of enforcing first void.

UAC is lower than BAC during absorption phase, higher during elimination phase.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2012, 09:26 AM
    I may have misinterpreted your question. My previous response applies to alcohol testing, that is for the presence of systemic alcohol in urine.

If however you were asking about BAC impairment evaluations, then a single UA cannot be used for that purpose. Breath analyzers are acceptable as are blood assays.

There is no direct correlation between urinary content and BAC. The UA can be used only for the purpose of determining that alcohol is present not for quantifying same.

The sequential UA, second or third after emptying the bladder is sometimes used to determine if the drinker is in the elimination or absorption phase (going up or down) and therefore to back extrapolate from the breath or blood test to estimate BAC at the time of offense, for instance. Once again UAs, cannot be used to establish a BAC.
    aj2468 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2012, 11:36 AM
    My urinalysis says Alcohol BAC; ____% can I sure this is not an EtG test?
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2012, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aj2468 View Post
    My urinalysis says Alcohol BAC; ____% can I sure this is not an Etg test?
    BAC is not measurable by EtG and is not used in conjunction with that test. Those are different analyses. If the term BAC appears it is not an EtG test unless that is denoted separately.
    seannysmalls Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2012, 07:13 PM
    If you put water directly into the urine (not through consumption but, directly in, to delute the urine. Will this in itself lower the BAC level for a dui test?

Aug 2, 2012, 07:18 PM
    To clarify m question. My girlfriend was drinking and was ina single car (her own accident) She is OK (thank god) she was taken to the hospital and given a urine test to determine how much she had been drinking that night. (BAC level) She was sent into the bathroom alone to pee in the cup. While in there (scared to death) "peed" a little bit and added water from the sink to the cup. Does this delute the urine sample? Would this make her BAC level lower below the legal limit, if it was above? This is a very sensative issue and we have had a very trying time with this. She realizes her mistake and will never make it again. She was very scared, panicked and was alone in the bathroom to get the sample. Please respond to me kindly and helpful answers, please
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2012, 07:25 PM
    Was she given more than one urine test? How about a blood test? Urine content cannot be used to determine BAC. UAC is always different from BAC and there is no correlation between a single urine sample and BAC. What am I missing?

Aug 2, 2012, 08:08 PM
    The took one urine sample. They sent it to a lab to be tested to see if she was "driving under the influence" As far as we know, they are testing for drugs and alcohol. From my understanding, this is to determine if she was above or below the legal limit to drive. (if she's above, they will charge her with a dui. Hope that helps you answer my question.

Aug 2, 2012, 08:09 PM
    This urine test is able to determine her limit of alcohol. The legal limit is .08. My question was, if she deluted it with water, will that effect the results of the test?
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2012, 08:31 PM
    What state does this apply to?

UAC does not determine BAC. . 08 applies to BAC and can be determined by blood or breath. Was she administered either of those tests?

Usually dilution does not work with alcohol in urine but post collection (dipping) would create dilute. That should also have been checked on scene by color and temperature.

Urine Dilution

Aug 2, 2012, 09:11 PM
    So "post collection (dipping)" means what she did bu adding water to the sample before handing it in? That's really my question. If she added water, will that affect this test to "dilute" it to where it will lower (whatever) level they are testing? I want her to not get in trouble for a DUI. And my question really is, if she added water to the urine sample, will that effect the outcome of the test to where the test will come back lower than the level to arrest for DUI? I hope that clarifies it for you. I worded it all wrong but, looking for the same answer. Thanks in advance.

Aug 2, 2012, 09:18 PM
    And they missed the "on scene" color and temp test. The color had yellow in it because she did "pee" in the cup, just added sink water to it.

Aug 2, 2012, 09:22 PM
    And since it was an accident that she was taken to the hospital, she was not administered a breath or blood test. JUst the urine sample, that was sent to a lab for testing. I know this question seems silly. The whole situation has been horrible and very hard on us all. I just want to see her not get in trouble for DUI (she would lose her job ect) She learned her lesson. We are just waiting for the test to come back and I just want to know what to expect (or what you think I should expect) Did her adding water, help her stay out of trouble. (thats as simple as I can ask. Lol)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Testing urine for alkaline % [ 2 Answers ]

I hear your ph balance should be 7.3 or something like that. I hear you can test your urine to see what my balance number is. How do you test your alkaline balance? Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Urine test for bac [ 2 Answers ]

I've been charged with a dui. At the stop the policeman gave me a fst(one foot in front of the other)i'm diagnoised with arthritis in the left hip. I explained to the officer I walk with a limp and that it would be difficult to perform that test. He gave it to me anyway. Then a lady officer...

Lotab and urine testing [ 2 Answers ]

How long does lortab stay in your urine?

Urine testing [ 1 Answers ]

If a urine test is failed while trying to get a new job can they tell your previous jobs? {moved from Forum Help-<>}

View more questions Search