Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pf1student Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2012, 06:01 PM
    I'm on F1 visa, my company does not cut any taxes, what process do I follow for taxes
    Hi, I'm a F1 student from India, on OPT. I graduated in may, and have been working with a small company. They do not cut any taxes and give me the whole check. So can someone please help me with the whole process that I need to follow?

I had filed my taxes last year, but that was done by the university. So this is going to be my first year filing taxes on my own. Also, my friends get their taxes deducted from their checks, so I am the only one among my friends who gets a whole check. Hence, can some one please help me with this by providing "ALL" the required steps that are applicable in my case right from the very beginning.

Thanks a lot!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2012, 03:28 AM
    Did you get W-2 or 1099-misc? File your tax return form 1040-NR or 1040NR-EZ and form 8843.
    pf1student Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2012, 02:15 PM
    Hi MukatA,

Thanks for the reply. I have also been researching around on my own. Its exactly as you have suggested, this is what I have gotten till now.

- Get the W2 form from the company
    - Write a check for the tax owed
    - Fill the 1040-NR and 8843

Send off a copy of the W2, check, 1040-NR and 8843. Is this all I have to do or are there any additional steps?

Once again thanks a lot for the quick response! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I file for taxes? (F1 Visa, OPT, Company does not withhold taxes) [ 1 Answers ]

How do I file for taxes? My situation is: F1 Visa, OPT work authorization, Company does NOT withhold taxes. I began work in September 6 2011 (two month probation) and became full time on November 15 2011. I received bi-weekly checks since September 6. Please help. Thank you.

Company filed H1B visa for me and planning to fly,what about dependent VISA process [ 1 Answers ]

Company filed H1B visa for me. After that I got married and now planning to send to U.S.. What about the process of dependent visa can any one explain this is 1st time I am to U.S. 1) What are the precautions I need to take? 2) For dependent how much percentage they will deduct as tax?

What happens to government if they cut taxes [ 1 Answers ]

If government cut tax money from worker paycheck then what effects should government face?

Cut Taxes They Say! O RLY? [ 1 Answers ]

Study: Presidential Frontrunners Would Boost Federal Budget by Range of $7 Billion to $287 Billion Annually Study: Presidential Frontrunners Would Boost Federal Budget by Range of $7 Billion to $287 Billion Annually (Alexandria, VA) -- Presidential contenders have been busy portraying their...

Taxes cut during OPT and H1B [ 1 Answers ]

If I earn $60,000 a year or $30/hr during OPT , how much do I get after the taxes, in my hand ? How is Per Diem calculated ? And so how much do I get during H1b status ? Thanks.

View more questions Search