Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Grinner Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2007, 11:27 AM
    Suet - where do I get it?
    Is this sold here in the US? I want to make dumplings for stew. Is there a suitable substitute if suet is unavailable?
    robynhgl Posts: 112, Reputation: 25

Feb 16, 2007, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinner
    Is this sold here in the US? I want to make dumplings for stew. Is there a suitable substitute if suet is unavailable?
    I believe suet is beef fat/renderings. I see it at my local supermarket in the meat department.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2007, 06:48 PM
    Robyn's right. If you have a local butcher, you will get better quality cooking suet there. If not, go to the meat department in your local grocery store and ask the butcher there for the best quality one he sells for cooking. Make sure he understands that, and make it clear this is not to feed the birds with.

From what I understand there are different grades of suet and the best one for cooking comes from the fat around the organs. :confused:

Feb 19, 2007, 05:11 AM
    Thanks Ruby! LOL! I didn't realize that there were different grades of suet... I buy it for the birds.
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Feb 19, 2007, 05:33 AM
    You don't need suet to make dumplings (although my mother says they are the tastiest).

Try:
    8 oz self raising flour
    4 oz cold butter
    Salt and pepper
    Cold water to mix

Try and make these drier than usual otherwise the dumplings will break up.
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2007, 06:18 AM
    colbtech, your mother is absolutely right. But, when you speak to people who bow down to food (and cooking) as if it was a God, they will stand there and lecture you about how there is absolutely no substitute for the suet. They insist the flavor, texture, and taste is affected and it just isn't the same. The will yell at you and go absolutely crazy! :eek:

Personally, I would do as your Mother does.

Feb 19, 2007, 07:29 AM
    Ruby, thanks I learned many years ago not to argue with Mother! I used to and was always proved wrong, just thought I would offer a substitute. Personally she (and yourself) are right about the suet, they are the best.
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Lol. I have never used suet in cooking. The thought kind of turns my stomach thinking my arteries are clogging just looking at it! I just figured, since Grinner was asking, might as well help her/him find what they are truly looking for. I know people who will just hit you over the head verbally if you try to substitute.

It was good that you included an alternate method, I didn't have one. Now Grinner has a choice.

Feb 19, 2007, 08:19 AM
    Ha Ha!

Nice little debate going on. I'm afraid that there is no substitute for suet, but you can only eat it once a year!

Thanks all for your input. I'll check my local butcher and see what he has.
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2007, 08:28 AM
    Haha Grinner. No debate going on. Just a friendly discussion. It is always good to get as many opinions and as much info as possible on this forum. It gives the poster (you) confirmation, information, and other routes to go, as colbtech so kindly gave. I have seen his/her other postings and colbtech's answers are always thoughtful.

Feb 19, 2007, 08:33 AM
    I'm a him.
    I am no where as good a cook as my mother, but I try!

Grinner I'll be round for supper later :-) Suet dumplings and all!

Feb 19, 2007, 11:19 AM
    I'm making a nice oxtai dish and the dumplings will be the piece de resistance.

I'll set an extra place for you Colbtech. Hope you can make it to California in time!l

Feb 19, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Hey--I'd just be satisfied if you explained what the heck you're making! LOL! How about a menu and maybe a recipe... if it's not a family secret!

Feb 19, 2007, 01:28 PM
    Braised oxtail with mustard and mash

This is not a liquid stew, but one where the lumps of meat and bone are coated in a sticky, glossy gravy.

Ingredients
    1 large oxtail, cut into joints
    a little flour, for dusting
    1 tsp ground chili
    1 heaped tsp dry mustard powder
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    thick slice butter
    a little oil, fat or dripping
    2 large onions, roughly chopped
    2 large winter carrots, roughly chopped
    2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
    4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    5 large mushrooms, cut into 6 or 8 pieces
    2 tsp tomato purée
    4 bay leaves
    a few bushy sprigs thyme
    750ml/1¼ pints of gutsy red wine, such as Rioja
    1 tbsp grain mustard
    1 tbsp smooth Dijon mustard
    a little parsley
    creamy mashed potato, to serve

Method
    Set the oven at 150C/300F/Gas 2. Put the oxtail in a plastic or zip-lock bag with the flour, ground chili, dry mustard powder and a good grinding of black pepper. Seal it and shake it gently until the oxtail is covered.
    Warm the butter and a little oil, fat or dripping in a heavy-based casserole. Lower in the pieces of oxtail and let them colour on each side, turning them as they take on a nice, tasty bronze colour. Whilst the meat is browning, peel the onions and carrots and roughly chop them, then cut the celery into similar-sized pieces. Lift out the meat and set aside, then put the vegetables in the pot and let them colour lightly. Peel the garlic, slice it thinly, then add it to the vegetables, along with the mushrooms, each cut into six or eight pieces. Squeeze in the tomato purée. Continue cooking until the mushrooms have softened and lost some of their bulk.
    Return the oxtail and any escaped juices to the pan, tuck in the bay and thyme, then pour in the red wine. Bring briefly to the boil, season lightly with salt and cover with a tight lid. Transfer the dish to the oven. You can now leave the whole thing alone for a good two hours. I'm not sure you even need to give it a stir, though I inevitably do half way through cooking. After an hour, check the meat for tenderness. I don't think it should be actually falling off the bones but it certainly should come away from the bone easily when tugged. Depending on the oxtail, it could take as long as two or three hours in total. Set the oxtail aside to cool, then refrigerate, preferably overnight.
    The next day, scrape off the fat that has set on the surface, then reheat the casserole slowly on the hot plate, stirring from time to time. Stir in the mustards. Once they are in, you should cook the stew for no longer than fifteen minutes, otherwise it will lose its edge. Stir in the parsley and serve with creamy mash.

Dumplings:
    100 g (4 oz) McDougalls or Be-Ro Self-Raising Flour
    50 g (2 oz) Atora Original Suet
    1 x 2.5 ml spoon (½ tsp) salt
    cold water to mix

To make dumplings: mix flour, Atora Suet and salt with sufficient water to form a firm but soft dough. Divide into 6 or 8 pieces, drop into bubbling stew 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2007, 01:35 PM
    What time did you say dinner is? ;)

Feb 19, 2007, 02:27 PM
    I'm going to need to make more I see.

I better not tell you about the chocolate bread pudding in the slow cooker!
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2007, 02:36 PM
    AAAHHH! :eek:

I'll be right over.;)

Feb 22, 2007, 01:57 AM
    Darn, California is out of my league. Now if you had been making this 31 years ago, around late summer. Heck, I'd be banging on your door with a decent bottle.

Still maybe I could nip over the pond between us for a quick bite. I'm going to copy your recipe and cook it up sometime, at least I'll be with you in spirit. Enjoy your meal.
    rfulton105 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2007, 06:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinner
    Suet is beef fat. Ask your butcher.
    statictable Posts: 436, Reputation: 34

Oct 2, 2007, 11:12 PM
    Suet rules in dumpling creations and is available at most grocery stores. Enjoy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search