Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lindseygraber Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2012, 11:13 AM
    Radio message from distant star
    In the movie Contact, Jodie Foster's character detects a radio signal from Vega. Vega is 2.5 times 10 to the 17 meters from our solar system. If we received a radio message from this star today, how long ago would it have been sent?
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Feb 8, 2012, 08:57 PM
    distance = rate * time

You know the distance, and you know the rate (the speed of light, or around 3x10^8 m/s).

Just plug in the numbers and solve for time. That will give you the answer in seconds (and it will be a really big number). Do you know how to then convert from seconds to something more reasonable (like years)?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The star the Magi (Wise Men) saw also known as the Star of Bethlehem [ 1 Answers ]

The Magi were more than astrologers they were an actual tribe which dwelt in what we call nowadays Arabia and Iraq. There is also evidence that one "clan" repatriated to Turkey and others dispersed into Syria and western Iran. Not all Magi were astrologers. They were in the land of Parthia or what...

I have a $20 bill that has star after the serial # IK 02286111 green star? [ 0 Answers ]

The $20 bill has #IK 02286111 star green. Under it K11. In the right corner under 20 G366. If you know anything about this please let me know. Thank you for your time.

How can I find south african radio stations on my roberts world band radio? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I play South African radio stations on my Roberts r9962 world band radio? It say it's good for BBC radio and around the world but I can't find a South African radio station Thanks

Radio star approved as NFL owner [ 164 Answers ]

No not Limbaugh, Fergie. While the media continuesto trash Limbaugh with false smears, the NFL has approved the smut singing, former meth addict Fergie as a partner with the Miami Dolphins. I guess these media hacks were too busy musing on killing Rush and fact-checking SNL to have any...

View more questions Search