Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chuckperg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2012, 06:28 AM
    Mold on cinder block?
    I water proofed my basement wall about 5 years ago. I then painted over the waterproof paint with a high gloss white pint to make the room look bright. The foundation is cinder block about 80 years old. It is the old diamond shape cinder block. One section developed yellow rings and the water proof paint began to separate from the cinder block. It is sporadic over a 10 foot section. Last summer I graded the outside of this area to make sure the water would run off away from the house. I installed a plastic window cover outside so the water did not run into the window sill. The basement is not a damp basement. I run a dehumidifier just to play it safe. I think this resolved the problem

My question: I want to clean/scrape the area of the wall that has the yellow ring marks and some powder dust (I suspect this is the mold) and re-waterproof and paint. How should I proceed and what materials should I use?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2012, 06:34 AM
    A stiff wire brush should suffice to remove the loose paint and then apply more waterproofing (like Thoroseal) AS LONG AS you are confident that the original waterproof "paint" that you used was truly a waterproofing compound (Such as Thoroseal).

If your original waterproofing was not something that penetrates the block, then you should remove it too.

Waterproofing like Thoroseal penetrates the block. Putting it over a "paint" will not do anything since it will not be able to penetrate the paint layer.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2012, 06:38 AM
    PS. If the stiff wire brush does not remove the paint layer, try an attachment for your drill that has long wires on it. Something like this: http://www.pjtool.com/ProductImages/...ces/1867-C.jpg
    tzad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2012, 07:49 AM
    Hello -

I seem to have the same problem and was told that some mold has grown. The contractor suggested I remove the crumbling paint with a wire brush, spray the wall with a mold killer or bleach and water combo, and then repaint.
    This is a question based on the original question. Is there a way to tell if the current paint is a waterproof sealant? I believe it is but the previous owners painted the wall, not me.
    Also, will there be noticeable lines where the original sealant and the new sealant meet?
    Thanks,
    T.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mold cinder block [ 1 Answers ]

I have a cinder block house and mold has deteriorated about 1/4 inch on the base. How do I seal the space myself. I know I have to remove mold but how do I seal the part of the cinder/cement that has crumbled

Mold in Cinder Block Home? [ 4 Answers ]

We have an older but well built 1970 house in South Florida, CBS construction. Due to some heavy rains, we found that there was a leak into my daughter's bedroom, and the carpet, padding, and the tack board under the padding was soaked, and there was evidence of moldy black substance on the...

Is it Cinder Block Mold [ 1 Answers ]

A small room in the basement houses the furnace, electric water heater, water well pump and a crock in the floor with water which is pumped out a couple times daily. This room has been a bit humid as the rest of the basement. Black areas have appeared on the cinder block walls. With a finder wipe...

View more questions Search