Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doeboy3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2012, 08:39 PM
    Work for free
    My boss told me one one of my days off I must come in and clean for 3hrs for free is that legal
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 7, 2012, 08:42 PM
    He can ask, but he can't demand that you work for free, not unless this is an agreement you made when you first took the job.

The thing is, he doesn't need a reason to fire you. If you choose not to go in and clean, he could well decide to terminate your employment. It really depends on you. Do you want to risk losing your job, or do you want to work for 3 hours for free?
    doeboy3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2012, 08:58 PM
    Well would I be protected under the fair labor law act. We were salaried employees. And never got paid for the hours we worked past what we were scheduled. Now they changed us to hourly. Because they want us to get paid for the hrs we work. Now they want me to do the opposite. I manage at a national fast food chain
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 7, 2012, 09:42 PM
    If you are salary, you are expected to come in and work anytime they want and not get paid extra. Salary employees often work 60 to 80 hours a week.

If you are a hourly employee, they are required to allow you to clock in and pay you for the time you work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does homeschooling work? Can it be free? [ 4 Answers ]

I am not an adult I am 15years of age (keep in mind) I am looking for a school that I only have to go one day a week and get work for that week. Is there a school of that sort? I have a place to do the work where there is no distractions of other students wanting to converse or teachers...

My free texts don't work! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I topped my phone up the other weekend and my dad put on free texts in the evening on weekdays so on Monday in the evening I decided to see if it worked this was 7 pm and I checked my credit then sent my friend a text straight after that I looked at my credit and it had gone down ten...

Free Work [ 1 Answers ]

Can a laid off employee work for free in order to stay busy and help the company? The employee insist that they work for free.

Taxes on free lance work? [ 8 Answers ]

I work a full time job and am looking into doing some free-lance work on the side in graphic design. I am wondering how that will work out with taxes? I've tried my hand at research and now I am confused? :confused: I have to pay quarterly taxes? Is there any known software out there that...

View more questions Search