Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dashimgaurav Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2012, 10:58 AM
    Why I keep on doing the things which I don't want to do?
    I always keep on doing the things which I don't want to I stop myself bt still can't help I lie to my parents which I don't want then I hurt myself bcoz I feel I have hurted them please help me what can I do?
    addicts_mom Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2012, 11:41 AM
    Hi dashimgaurav:

Most Important to Understand: Addicts ARE sick people needing to get well - they ARE NOT bad people who need to get good.

I am the mom of a 19 drug addict (I am assuming you are talking about drugs) and I have been sober for 25+ years. Drug addiction really takes a toll on the whole family not just the addict. With all their hearts addicts want to stop doing the things they do (doing the drugs, lying, cheating,stealing) and they may be able to for a day, a couple of days, but then they always go back to the drugs, behaviors etc. Addiction is a viscious circle.

If you REALLY want to stop and change your life, my first suggestion would be to come clean and tell your parents the truth and tell them you want help. I am not a doctor so I can't tell you find an inpatient program or an outpatient program, that is something you can talk to your parents about. I never went to inpatient or outpatient rehab programs. What I can tell you from my own experience, what worked for me 25+ years ago and has continued working for me all these years. I went to an Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) meeting one night (it could also be an Narcotics Anonymous (NA)meeting)and I kept going until I heard someone talk exactly about how I felt and what was going on with me - different circumstances, SAME FEELINGS. I kept going to meetings every day or night and I felt safe there because I knew I wouldn't get high for that 1 hour. I started getting phone numbers of the people in the meetings and when I wanted to get I picked up the phone, instead of a drug, and called one of the people from the meeting and they stayed on the phone and helped me until the urge passed. That was the beginning for me, I just kept going to meetings and doing what they suggested to me because they were doing it and staying sober.

Here are 2 links for you to help you find either AA or NA Meetings:

Alcoholics Anonymous: http://aa.org/lang/en/subpage.cfm?page=28

Narcotics Anonymous: http://portaltools.na.org/portaltools/MeetingLoc/

I sincerely hope you are ready to get the help you seem to be asking for.

addicts_mom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do good things really fall apart so better things can fall together? [ 3 Answers ]

Heard this quote the other day that reads "good things fall apart so better things can fall together". This made me think about my current situation, my last relationship was good and after three months of it ending it still hurts that its over, but after finally sticking to NC I know I am doing...

Can things ever be the same [ 4 Answers ]

If a girl dumps you to see other people and then you get back together, can it be great again or is the relationship doomed to be awkward and not work out? I'm still in love with my ex but I worry that after breaking my heart for another guy, things will be weird...

Things to know. [ 1 Answers ]

I know my 43 us presidents... my states and capitals... 7 continents... you.. what are other things (important or useful) things I can learn?? Please give me some ideas!:rolleyes:

View more questions Search