Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AmberWscheid Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2012, 11:03 PM
    Find the standard form of the hyperbola with the given characteristics?
    In the problem is gives you the vertices of (4,1) and (4,9) and Foci of (4,0) and (4,10).
    They want the standard form of the equation of the hyperbola. Thanks for your help!
    corrigan Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Feb 7, 2012, 09:50 AM
    Okay the first thing you need to notice is that this hyperbola opens up and down. The way I know that is because the vertices and the foci are all on the line . Now the equation for such a hyperbole looks like this:

And from that we can get the center, foci, and vertices. The center is at the point , the vertices are at and , and the foci are at and .

So what we need is to find , , , and . Well is easy, that's just . and aren't to bad either since and . A little algebra, and we get and .

So all we need have left to find is . We now know what and are, and we know that and . By plugging our numbers in we get:

. (b is always positive.)

So now we just plug everything in:

I'm sorry, I don't remember what "standard form" is, but from here you can manipulate it to anything you want. I hope this helps.
    AmberWscheid Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2012, 11:30 PM
    Thank you so much! This explains a lot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finding Standard Equation Of Hyperbola, Given Foci and Vertices. [ 4 Answers ]

Find Standard Equation of Hyperbola Given Foci: (-8,0) and (8,0) and Vertices: (-6,0) and (6,0).

Find standard form of ellipse given center and foci [ 4 Answers ]

Find the equation in standard form of an ellipse with center at (0,0) minor axis of length 12, and foci at (0,-8) and (0,8).

Find standard form given eccentricity and center of ellipse [ 1 Answers ]

Find the equation in standard form of an ellipse with eccentricity 5/8, center at (0,0) and major axis on the x-axis and of length 16.

View more questions Search