Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AmitHere Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2012, 02:25 PM
    How to get tax benefit of H4 dependent (Spouse)?
    I came to US on Oct-2011 on H1 and my wife on H4 visa. As per guidelines I qualify for non resident alien but on that status I can't file my tax jointly and also can't take dependent benefit for my wife. Is there any work around ? Or what is the best way to proceed ? By anyway I can file jointly by waiting some time ? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 13, 2012, 11:41 AM
    You can file jointly with your wife and you both CHOSE to be treated as resident aliens. This will allow you to claim the $11,600 joint standard deduction plus two $3,700 personal exemption (for yourself and your wife). You must WAIT until sometime in June 2012 to file in order to meet the Substantial Presence Test.

To apply for an ITIN, you need to complete Form W-7 for your wife. You need to make a photocopy of her passport, then get the photocopy notarized. This can be done at your local bank in most states in the U.S. The notarized photocopy is stapled to the SIGNED Form W-7, then paper clipped to the tax return with your spouse name on the return, but with the SSN area blank.

The IRS evaluates the W-7 and notarized passport photocopy, and, if all is in order, then issues the ITIN and inserts it on the tax return where your wife's SSN would go. The return is then processed and the refund is sent to you.

The IRS then issues an ITIN letter which is mailed to you in a separate envelope. You then insert the ITIN on the state tax return and submit it.

All in all, the process takes about ten weeks to complete.

If you want my professional help, double-click on my title above and scroll down to my profile/signature. You will find my email address and websites there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non-Resident Alien: Capital gain tax, Dependent Benefit (US-Citizen) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I stayed in USA on a H1 visa only for 21 days in 2010, but stayed more than 183 days in the previous 3 years. Since I stayed only for 21 days in 2010 I need to file my 2010 tax return as a non-resident alien. I received a W2 for my salary income. Also made profit by selling my shares in 2010...

Query regarding claiming tax benefit for dependent [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was in US from June 1st 2010 to November 10th 2010. I want to claim tax benefit as my wife was with me as a dependent in US. But she didn't get her SSN or ITIN done. Now we both are here, and I am not able to claim the tax benefit without SSN or ITIN no. of my wife. I found out that one...

Is there any tax benefit for F1 student on OPT living with F2 spouse [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am non-resident alien from india on F1 visa working on OPT. My wife is on F2 visa. Can I claim her to be dependent on my tax return or what exactly I need to do to get more tax benefits. Can I put head of household so that less taxes are taken out from paycheck. *** guide.

Spouse Tax exemption Dependent Visa [ 1 Answers ]

I am resident for Tax purpose. I got married in India in May 2009 and my wife came here on dependent Visa (F2) in September 2009. Can I file exemption for her for Federal form 1040 for tax year 2009.

Tax(2006) Credit for Spouse and Dependent [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I came to United states, first time on 28th May 2006 and left US on 2nd Sept 06. Again I came back to US on 8th Oct 06 and stayed thereafter throughout the year, but this time with my family. I have my SSN whereas my family (wife and daughter) don't have SSN. My query is: 1. Am I a...

View more questions Search