Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sonson Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2007, 03:17 AM
    Is this anything to be worried about?
    Hello. I'm new here, as I've been recently browsing around online for any sort of help I could find. This place seemed promising, so I signed up. I hope it's all right to ask a question on my first post.

Anyway, I have a concern about my cat, Boo. Recently, he has this odd.. growth in the middle of his back, almost directly parallel with his spine. At first, it was no larger than a bug bite. I had thought it might be no more than a tick or a scab.

However, recently, I've noticed that the growth, or lump, or whatever you would call it, has gotten considerably larger. It not only protrudes outwards from his back, but the length has also enlarged. It's roughly the length of my index finger , and it spreads out to about the width of a nickel.

Boo has has a few problems in the past; constant vomiting, refusal to eat, urinating all over the house. But he's always managed to go back to normal after a week or two. This growth, however, is really bothering me. Not only have I never seen anything like this before, but when I touch it even the slightest, he cringes and either leaps away from me, or makes like he's going to bite me. He has never in the entire time he's lived with me, done that.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to ever take him to a vet. I'm crippled, sadly to say, and as such am not able to work. My mother is the kind of woman who thinks animals have no feelings and can feel no pain and never get sick. In her exact words "A cat is nothing more than a dumb creature that stinks up the house". She absolutely refuses to spend money on taking "that thing" in her words, to the vet. I've begged her many, many times, and she flatly refuses.

To me, however, Boo is a member of this family. I'm unable to even go outside, and as such I have no real friends, save for Boo. To me, Boo is the only friend I've ever had. I need his company as much as he needs me. He sleeps with me, eats with me. He even bathes with me. (he's scared of the sound of running water, but has no problems getting into the tub once the water is shut off)

I can't stand the thought of something being wrong with him. I'm even more scared of the thought of losing him. My mother said that if he starts getting sick again, that she's going to toss him out and let him die. I couldn't bare the thought of Boo being out there all by himself, especially after he's lived inside all these years. It took a long enough time just convincing her to let me get a pet in the first place to help deal with my loneliness.

Please, if anyone knows what could be the cause of this growth, and if there's any way I can help him, let me know. I beg of you.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2007, 04:55 AM
    How about trying to contact a vet to come over to your house to check up on your cat boo?

Feb 16, 2007, 05:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Krs
    How about trying to contact a vet to come over to your house to check up on your cat boo?
    Thank you very much for the response. Unfortunately, doing that would most likely cost money. And since I'm unable to work, I have none. My mother, as I mentioned earlier, refuses to pay for a vet, therefor a home visit doesn't seem very likely, either.
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2007, 05:03 AM
    Im sorry to hear all of this, but if your mum loves you she should love your cat too and would want to help you get help for Boo. Its very unfair to me.

Unfortunately I'm not a vet so I can't diagnose Boo with anything, wish I could help more because I love cats :)
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Feb 16, 2007, 05:13 AM
    Hello Sonson,

Welcome to the Ask Me Helpdesk, even though your post is very sad. Yes, you are perfectly correct and welcome to post here.

I am sorry and to be honest very shocked. To read how your mother feels about animals.

You can assure your mother that Boo, like any other animal, is warm blooded and as such can feel as much pain and misery as a human being.

Although I don't like saying this, I must ask how would she feel if she or you were in constant agony and no one would summon medical help. I consider she is treating the cat extremely cruelly and if I had my way I would tell her that unless she got help for your pet, I would not hesitate in reporting her for cruelty.

Of course I am not saying Boo is in pain. I simply don't know and no one here can diagnose what is the matter with him.

She is also very wrong when she says a cat is nothing more than a dumb animal. A cat is a source of great love and, companionship. Especially for someone in you situation. They are certainly not dumb.

Your pet needs to be taken to the vet as soon as possible and have the growth investigated. It is possible that it can be treated or removed but until the problem is diagnosed the correct treatment cannot be given.

Does she also realise that by not looking after your pet she is causing you distress and worry also?

Is there anyone you know that could take your cat to the vet for you? Possibly a relation. Even though you cannot afford vets fees yourself, vets have the animals welfare uppermost in their minds and if your local vet knew the circumstances I feel sure he/she would look at Boo and give him a medical examination without charge. Most countries also have charitable organisations for people who have a pet but cannot afford large vets fees. A Search Engine search would reveal the charities dealing with this in your country.

Failing that, is it possible to let Boo go to a home where he can be cared for and the family could arrange for him to be examined by a vet. True, you would lose him from your home but at least you would know that he is getting the proper care.

Please ask your mother to be more caring and responsible. In the UK she could find herself in serious trouble if she knowingly allows an animal to suffer. The law is very strict on this. It is probably the same in the US and most other countries.

I pray she will make the right decision and does the right and humane thing to find out what is wrong with Boo and get him treated.

The very best of luck to Boo and yourself.

Please post something here and let us know how things go.

Cy
    (Poseidon)
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2007, 05:39 AM
    I agree with everything poseidon has said.
    Boo needs treatment.. fast.

Your mum should want to help Boo, even if she does it just for you.
    robynhgl Posts: 112, Reputation: 25

Feb 16, 2007, 08:57 AM
    SonSon--try contacting your local animal shelter/humane society. Most of them work off donations and they can treat animals for less or sometimes for free--depending upon the financial circumstances.

They can also refer you to local charities that deal with animals. Many times these charities work directly with local veterinarians who offer services for free to those in need. A local pet store--like Pet Smart may also be able to point you in the right direction as they work with many charitable organizations that help animals.

Good Luck--Let us know how it goes.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Sonson, this is a terribly sad and disheartening story.

I agree with robynhgl's advice. Find out is there is a local ASPCA, Humane Society, or animal welfare group in your area. Call them. Explain to them, everything you have told us here. At the end of your story, tell them that you are willing to give up your pet if it means that he will get medical attention. I can assure you that they will not place Boo in a new home. Most of these places want people like you who will love and care for their pets. They need to hear from you that there is nothing you won't do to help him.

I have worked with local Humane Societies in my area. We have had a number of people who did not have the financial resources to take care of their pets. Each "charity" case is weighed separately. I am sure that someone will come to your house, take Boo, and have their vet check him out. Let them deal with your Mother and her attitude problems. They have vast experience with this.

One thing I must warn you about. I do not know how old Boo is. I am not a vet. But, what you are describing sounds like it might be a tumor. If Boo is very old, please be prepared for them to tell you that there is nothing they can do for him.

In any event, once you have created a contact with someone, you will have a new friend. They will check on you and Boo from time to time. If you love cats as much as you say you do, expect them to ask you if you would like to adopt another cat in the future. They are so overrun with unwanted animals and they need caring people like you. They will definitely keep you in mind.

Good Luck! And, as Robynhgl suggested, let us know what happens.
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Feb 16, 2007, 03:17 PM
    With that rate of growth and being that sore to the touch, it's likely an abscess, especially if he acts like it's itchy. This is where an injury (most often a puncture wound, due to the way they heal) becomes infected inside, after the surface has healed or nearly healed. The swelling is due to fluid build-up inside the wound, and is very uncomfortable for him.

He does need medical attention. If it is an abscess, it needs to be opened, cleaned, and he'll need antibiotics to fight the infection. If he doesn't get medical attention, the wound will eventually rupture (or more likely, he'll open it himself with teeth or claws to get at the itch) and be in danger of a worse infection. If it's something worse, he'll need attention for that, too.

Feb 16, 2007, 08:35 PM
    All of this information is rather disheartening. Though I suppose that should be expected. Since waking up this morning, I could swear that the growth has gotten larger. Hopefully, it's just my imagination. Either way, thank you all for your advice.

I've discused it with my mother, and she became rather furious with me. She's tired of my bringing it up, and she wants to hear nothing more of it. She made it perfectly clear that she has no intention of ever spending money on Boo.

If I can't convince her to contact an animal shelter or humane society by tomorrow, I feel I have no other choice but to do it myself. I've very worried about Boo. He's still relatively young (five years old now) but he's become so sluggish lately, it's scaring me. The only problem is that even if I do contact someone, I'd have absolutely no way to get him there. I certainly can't drive (both not able, nor never learned) and I don't think my father would go behind my mother's back, even though he seems at least a little concerned (though he's more indifferent to the matter)

Anyway, since you all have been so kind and offered me advice, I figured I should at least update you on what's going on. Thank you very much for your help and kind words thus far.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Sonson, please do as I suggest. Someone from one of these societies will come to your house if you explain the entire situation to them. Nosnosna may be right in his opinion and Boo's sluggishness is due to the infection spreading through his system. Please do not wait and call today.

Feb 17, 2007, 10:06 AM
    It doesn't look like there's anything I an do. I looked around all I could and searched for information, but I don't know how to contact any of these places. My mother also doesn't want me doing that in the first place. She said it sounds fake and that she doesn't want me to contact people like that.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Sonson, I don't know how old you are or your real name, so you don't have to worry about anyone here finding out where you live.

I will do a search and see if I can locate one of these places for you. I will attach a link to the web site or post a phone number so you can make the call. But, I need to know what area you live in. If you are concerned about giving out your town and state, then just give me a county and state.

Your mother is being extremely inflexible about this. If she hasn't had any prior dealing with these societies, she cannot claim it sounds fake. Frankly, from her responses, it sounds like she does not want to deal with this situation and I can guarantee you that Boo's problem will not clear up on its own. Considering she isn't willing to help you, I would not discuss this with her anymore until someone responds and shows up at your door. I must tell you that if she does have the money to pay for a vet, and Boo is very sick, the society will not treat her kindly. They don't respond well to people who refuse to make an effort to seek treatment for an animal who is ill.

So, you have to make a choice. Do you want to help your cat? If so, then you must do everything that you can to make this happen. We will do everything we can to help you, but we cannot diagnose this online and we cannot give you medicine to make Boo feel better. A veterinarian needs to examine him.

Feb 17, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Hello again Sonson,

It is sad to say that there is very little else we here at Askmehelpdesk can do except if you live in the UK you or your mother can contact The Cats Protection League on telephone number 08702-099099

Perhaps an Expert in the US or other counties who knows of similar charities could also post some numbers of organizations who can help.

As far as Askmehelpdesk being fake is concerned. This site has helped many thousands of people over the years with no fear or favour and will continue to do so.

If you mother is referring to my Personal Message to you offering to try to help, I can assure her that this was and is not fake. It is a genuine concern for the welfare of an animal who is obviously in great distress.

I was always led to believe the human race was made up of animal lovers but obviously this is not the case. There are still some humans who appear not to care how much an animal suffers. Those should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

If I am suspended for this post, so be it, but I just cannot just stand by and see someone just let a defenseless creature suffer. Especially when there are so many people here at Askmehelpdesk and many organizations who will offer aid at very little or no cost. All possibly for no more than the cost of a phone call or two.

I am wondering why your mother got you Boo in the first place if she dislikes animals so much. I am assuming it was to give you someone who you could love and care for and would love you in return.

For whatever reason, she has a legal and moral duty of care to your pet.

Does she not realize that you are suffering as well. With worry about Boo. You are proving this by the posts you are submitting here.

I for one will be praying for Boo, you and above all that your mother will do what is so obviously the right, humane and Christian thing and get help for him.

Let us hope that the next time you post, it will be tell us that Boo has seen a vet and the condition can be treated.

Cy
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2007, 11:12 AM
    No worries regarding suspension Poseidon.

What you have stated is very well said.

Regarding help in the US, I need to know where Sonson is located so I can give her local assistance info. Calling a general number usually doesn't get you anywhere here.

Regarding your statement about being raised to believe,.
    I have found as I have gotten older, quite a lot of people do not believe what we believe in. Where I live, quite a number of people view their pets as possessions and not as members of the family deserving of the right to medical care as much as we ourselves are. I have worked for Humane Societies and it is disgusting to see the abuse and neglect people have shown toward their animals.

Sonson, Poseidon is right. If your mother allows you to keep Boo as company to keep you from feeling lonely, then she has a responsibility to take care of him as much as she has a responsibility to take care of you. You need to remind her of this. You may need to yell and scream to get her to pay attention.

If that is not a route that you want to take, then please tell me what town and state you live in so that I can locate some agencies who can help Boo. This is about him. Not you. Not your mother. Your cat needs medical treatment as soon as possible. It appears the only way to do this is to give you the information you need to take care of this yourself.

Feb 17, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Unfortunately, my mother thinks differently. She obviously feel no responsibility towards Boo at all, as she doesn't even like him in the first place. I try telling her otherwise, but she just gets mad at me. I guess to her, she thinks it's perfectly in her right not to spend money on Boo because the money is hers. I don't really understand her reasoning, but it's making me very upset.

Anyway, in response to your previous message, I live in Florida (in the US) in the Rockledge/Melbourne/Palm Bay area. I'm not entirely sure which it is, since I can rarely ever leave the house and know very little about the area. But those areas should be close to one another, I think.

Edit: I apologize for always mentioning my mother as I know it's probably getting annoying, but she's basically the "voice" in this household. She has the say in what goes on, and she manages the finances. There's very little I can do without her approval first.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Sonson, I will start working on it. I have a very close friend who does rescue work in the Miami area. I will ask her to reach out to people and I will get back to you as soon as possible with some names.

In the meantime, here is link to all rescue groups in Florida. I am sure you will be able to locate one in this list close to where you live.

Florida Pet Shelters and Animal Rescue

Feb 17, 2007, 12:01 PM
    I've found a Humane Society close to where I live. However, on the site, the information provided doesn't say anything about helping a cat's problem as a vet would. It sounds like a Humane Society is just a place to leave animals in order to find new homes, or to pick up an animal in order to give it a good home.

Is this really a place that could possibly help Boo? I didn't think about this before, but I've almost never talked on the phone before. I'm sort of scared to call them as I'm not sure what I'd say. But I'll give it a try and see what happens, I guess.

Feb 17, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Sonson,

If you have a phone number for them, simply ring them.

They will be able to tell you what they do and/or they should be able to supply you a number of a vet or someone locally who may be able to help.

Of course have a good look at the site Rubypitbull gave you too.

Make sure you explain to them what you have told us and how worried you are about Boo.

The very, very best of luck.

Cy
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Sonson, I just got off the phone with my friend. She suggested you contact the place that you found because she doesn't know anyone in your area.

As Poseidon suggested, even though the web site says they are a shelter, part of what the Humane Society does is help people who are in your situation. They don't advertise it. It is just something that I know of because I do volunteer work for them.

So, please call them, and explain everything to them that you have explained to us. They do have vets in-house. If they have any available volunteers, they will send someone over to speak with you and they can take the cat to their vet for you.

Let us know what happens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm worried [ 6 Answers ]

Hey... I'm really worried about my friend, and I don't know who to ask about this, so I've turned to you guys in the hope you can help me, I don't know who else to turn to. I'm really worried about my friend. She has been going out with someone for a few months now, and last Friday, she found...

Very worried.what shall I do? [ 1 Answers ]

HELP ME I like this lad a lot, like LOADS and LOADS I discovered before (as he is ill) that when he was younger he had hepatitis, he said something about it reoccuring when he gets ill or because of it it makes him more ill? He didn't say which one or anything and obviously as we are not...

Worried... [ 1 Answers ]

Hi,I am new here and needing a little help.I am 21 years old and have not had my period for 6 months,I stupidly waited until now and went to see a doctor.He ask me a few question and then gave me hormone pills(3 months).I have just started taking them.I am worried about the side effects of the...

Should I be worried? [ 18 Answers ]

Hey everyone I have been in a relationship for over four months with a fantastic guy. We have recently gone into business together. He is kind and considerate... we are both professionals. We currently hang out together (weekdays and weekends) every day, and I have a son (8) and he has two...

I'm worried! [ 14 Answers ]

My dog is to skinny... I have German Shep she's about 14yrs latly she's been having problems walking up & down the stairs... and when I take her for a walk she falls behind.. wobbly when she walks.. and today she only ate one bowl of food... Can anyone tell me what's going on?

View more questions Search