Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rumseyr Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2012, 01:43 PM
    Wife wants ex to leave
    My wife wants her ex... Who she was never married to, to leave the house she owns. He has lived there since June 2010. My deed is in my wife's name alone and she is paying the mortgage. What are his rights to stay there and her rights to have him move. I am sure there are more relevant details that are needed to answer this. Please ask. Thanks for any help in advance.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2012, 02:01 PM
    She evicts him according to State law. I don't know where she is so I can't post it.

Feb 5, 2012, 02:07 PM

It is NY state. Does eviction apply where there isn't a rental agreement?
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2012, 02:09 PM
    Yes. I'm also in NY.

Here's some great info - if you look it up, by the way, NYC is different from NYS.

By living there he is a resident, a tenant by agreement (so to speak).

New York Evictions

Feb 5, 2012, 02:12 PM
    Does it matter long long there were together?
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2012, 03:09 PM
    No. Did he live at her house? Did he use it for mail or any other purpose? If so and she locks him out SHE can be sued. She needs to evict him.

Feb 5, 2012, 04:00 PM
    They lived there together until three years ago. He then had his own place for a while. He then moved back in last June. This was supposed to be a temporary arrangement. Yes he does get mail there.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 5, 2012, 04:16 PM
    I moved this to the Real Estate Law forum as it had nothing to do with Divorce. The simple fact is that she owns the house. Her name is the only one on the title. Anyone else who resides in that house does so at her sufferance.

The second fact is that he has established residency. As such he needs to be evicted according to NYS law.

There is nothing else that would appear to be relevant.
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2012, 05:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rumseyr View Post
    They lived there together untill three years ago. He then had his own place for a while. He then moved back in last june. This was supposed to be a temporary arrangement. Yes he does get mail there.

I don't think you're understanding the site I posted or what I've said. None of this matters EXCEPT if he's currently a resident. He gets mail. He's a resident.

He needs to be evicted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will he ever leave his wife for me? [ 22 Answers ]

This is probably a question that you hear all the time so I apologise in advance. Basically I'm a 35 yr old separated woman who is seeing a 56 yr old man who separated from his wife 4 weeks ago after she confronted him as to whether he was having an affair. My husband has moved out and I now live...

How can I get ex wife to leave me alone [ 2 Answers ]

She hangs the child over my head lies to everyone calls dcf on me pulls me into court for stuff I didn't do I always get stuck with her attorney bills

Could my wife getting ms have caused her to leave [ 6 Answers ]

My wife left me for no reason that I could see about 2 months ago,said she she didn't love me anymore & wanted to leave.she said she wanted to be selfish & be on her own yet 4 week later she got with this low life bloke,I was devastated.now I have been told by her mother that she has been diagnosed...

Wife leave need time [ 3 Answers ]

Well my wife we have 9 year together but 6 months ago she star acting wire she go out a lot she block her phone litte thinks like that we have 2 kids .we have a lot of probles because she go out whit her friends olways came to late like 2 or 3 am because she what ti the movies an then to eat but...

Leave my wife when? [ 10 Answers ]

I've been with my wife for 10 years and married for 2. We had a baby 3 months ago and since then I've been getting progressively unhappier. Not feeling there is a spark between me and my wife and not as attracted to her as I used to be. I feel I want out and live on my own... couldnt stand to leave...

View more questions Search