Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alicia_Apple Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2012, 12:13 PM
    I know that my boyfriend is the loveliest and kindest person I've ever met, I know he
    I feel lost, I may have some symptoms of borderline disorder

Feb 5, 2012, 12:32 PM
    I am sorry, I'm new to this site.
    As I was saying, he does love me, we've been together for a year and a half now. I also enjoy spending time with him, caring for him, being intimate with him and all the other things, but I don't actually feel anything. I only feel some sort of connection to him, even though we may not always like the same things, but I don't feel those butterflies I'm supposed to.

Lately we've both been through stressful periods of our lives, but he seems to be handling them better than I.
    I constantly nag him about tiny things like not washing dishes and such, and I complain daily about him not being interested in me although it's pretty obvious he is, and I know he gives me his whole attention and love. I can't feel it, though, something inside of me isn't at peace... and I don't know if it's the relationship's fault or if I have some issues with myself I need to clear.

It is a serious relationship, we're both committed to it, so I wouldn't want to ruin it just because of some stupid things, although I really seem to sabotage myself a LOT. Neither do I want to break his heart, my boyfriend really is a wonderful person.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 5, 2012, 12:41 PM
    Be careful with labeling yourself. I know it's the "in thing" to do. TV and Hollywood have brought a psych vocabulary into our conversations nowadays.

Have your feelings for him changed over time? That does happen. Don't marry him if there's doubt.

Or maybe you and he just don't click after all. I have some very dear male friends, but certainly wouldn't want to marry them now that I've gotten to know them! (and that's okay!! )

Or, the "honeymoon" may be over and the real work of building a committed relationship is beginning..

Which is it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 5, 2012, 06:35 PM
    Have you thought you just don't like him, or you just don't love him as a boyfriend. Dating is when you find and decide your feelings, he may be the best thing ever but may not be the thing you want.

Feb 10, 2012, 09:41 AM
    Thank you for your answers
    But what is "loving him as a boyfriend" ?

I said that I may have that disorder because those symptoms fit me very well, I am absolutely terrified of someone leaving me, so I use to distance from them first. I treat them badly when I feel threatened (although there's usually no motive at all), I put them through "tests" so they could prove me they really care. I don't do this on purpose and I cannot help it, I try very hard to temperate myself
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 10, 2012, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alicia_Apple View Post
    I said that I may have that disorder because those symptoms fit me very well, I am absolutely terrified of someone leaving me, so I use to distance from them first. I treat them badly when I feel threatened (although there's usually no motive at all), I put them through "tests" so they could prove me they really care. I don't do this on purpose and I cannot help it, I try very hard to temperate myself
    That's not borderline, but is insecurity within yourself and with your feelings about the relationship. We aren't able to crawl into the mind of our beloved to find out if he feels as committed to us as we do to him, so that puts us on the defensive, wondering and hoping. We don't want to get dumped, so if there's doubt about the beloved's feelings, we would rather be the dumper and save our self esteem from getting battered. Been there, done that, as have many females! (can't speak for males, no experience there)
    olivia589 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2012, 09:12 PM
    I'm in a similar predicament. Its been a year and a half, too. My boyfriend is the kindest person I've ever met, but there is no spark or butterflies or anything like that. Its just sort of blah, but he's so sweet! I'm afraid of the other men out there... I know this guy will never hurt me. However, I don't know how much more exciting this relationship can possibly get. :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boyfriend is not the same as when we first met [ 4 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend for over 3 years now the first year we were together he was the perfect guy, then we were surprised with me being pregnant, had trouble dealing with it at first then everything was back to being normal, or so I thought. He changed without warning seemed to become lazy,...

I met a person on a dating site we started exchanging mail text mess even phone calls [ 6 Answers ]

Hello I met a person on a dating site we started exchanging mails text mess and even phone calls. He told me he is american although his accent didn't sound american he said he has a job project in ghana after finishing the project he was planning to come visit me in israel. Before leaving ghana...

I have a boyfriend of 1 year. I met someone. And I cheated! [ 15 Answers ]

Okay, so based on my past questions, I'm sure most of you already know me. So I have been going out.. Or have been in a serious relationship with this really NICE guy for a year now. Lately, it has been getting pretty boring (sexually, mentally, etc). We have been fighting more often... Mainly...

Met one person, but ends up liking her best friend. [ 1 Answers ]

Ok in it all I find myself in so much drama, I have told so many people about this, and still everyone is like Ok wow, what's the deal?? This might sound like a kids dream, but its like one of those... For me, its hard, really hard, I can't find a point, or even a level ground on what to...

Renting a aprtmnt from a person who is now not in Au, and never met before [ 2 Answers ]

I found a cheap aprtmnt in Sydney, NSW and I want to rent it. However my problems are that I don't know the owner and the owner is not in Au at the moment. So what documents of the owner should i know to make sure it's safe for me to rent that aprtmnt? Some of my friends said that maybe they are...

View more questions Search