Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dekka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2012, 07:57 AM
    ask a probability question?
    If a bag has 8 balls in it 4 white and 4 black what are the odds against picking four black balls one after the other
    corrigan Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Feb 5, 2012, 05:15 PM
    First of all, I'm assuming you aren't returning any drawn ball to the bag. The probability against anything happening is simply one minus the probability for it happening. So if is the probability of picking four black balls, then the probability against drawing four black balls is just . So what we really need to know is the probability of picking four black balls. Since we start with eight balls total and four black balls, the probability of picking one black ball on our first draw is . Keep in mind that we can reduce this, but there is a pattern and in order for you to see it, I'll keep this fraction unreduced.

On the second drawing, assuming the first drawn ball is black, then we have seven total balls and only three black balls. So the probability of drawing a second black ball having drawn a black ball on the first drawing is . Similarly, the probability of drawing a third black ball, since there are still two black balls and six total balls, is . For the fourth drawing the probability is . So to find the probability of drawing four black balls we simply multiply the probability of drawing a black ball on the first drawing and the probability of drawing a second black ball having already drawn a black ball and the probability for the third, etc. So we get

Since the original problem was to find the probability against drawing four black balls, the answer you're looking for is

I hope this helps.
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Feb 6, 2012, 08:14 PM
    Just a point of clarification: Corrigan explained perfectly how to calculate the probability, which is the hard part. However, since the question asked about odds, not probability, you have to do one last small step and say the odds against are 69:1 (said as "69 to 1"), which is equivalent to a probability of 69/(69+1)=69/70 as Corrigan showed.
    corrigan Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Feb 7, 2012, 10:07 AM
    Oh, I didn't even notice that. Thanks jcarson2, stats has never been my strong point. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probability Question [ 1 Answers ]

At the time there were five pairs of pants 2 jeans, 1 khaki, 2 black and four shirts 2 gray, 1 white, and 1 black. What is the probability of getting a pair of jeans and a black shirt

Ask question in probability? [ 1 Answers ]

Question 5 Of 20,000 small businesses surveyed, about 62% said they employed women in some capacity. Of the businesses that employed women, 19.5% employed no female supervisors, 50% employed only one female supervisor, and the remainder employed more than one female supervisor. a) How many of...

Can someone help me in probability question ? [ 2 Answers ]

hello.. I have an exam and a homework I couldn't solve all of it.. I know it's a lot of work.. but I couldn't solve 5 question 1)http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/7222/… 2) If the probability that each component will operate is shown, what is the probability that a current will run through...

View more questions Search