Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joylynn Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2012, 07:11 PM
    I received a 1099-a form today, I did a deed in lu on my house and
    Box 2 is less then box 4 what does that mean when I do my taxes?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2012, 08:07 PM
    The amount you owe is less than the fair market value. You do nothing except if you get 1099-C. Check box 5 to see if you are personally responsible for the debt or not.

Feb 4, 2012, 10:50 PM
    And if box 5 is checked then what happens

Feb 4, 2012, 10:51 PM
    If box 5 is checked then what do I do or what happens ?

Feb 4, 2012, 10:53 PM
    And if box 5 is checked then what happens
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 5, 2012, 12:25 AM
    Box 5 shows that buyer is liable to pay the debt. However, in you case you do not have any debt. I don't think you will get 1099-C.
    If you only get 1099-A, it is only for your info. Your U.S. Tax Return: Foreclosure or Repossession of Main Home

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I received a 1099-G form in the mail [ 3 Answers ]

I received a 1099-G form in the mail, I have never been unemployed or filed for unemployment benefits. How do I get to the bottom of this ? Is that the only reason I'd receive that ?

I received a 1099-C Form from my lender. [ 10 Answers ]

I received 1099-c form for a house that went on foreclosure in 2008. On the form under “Amount Debt cancelled” it has $187.294.48. Under “fair market value of property” it has $ 184,000.00. This house went on foreclosure because my loan was 2year fix on the 3year my interest increased and my house...

Received FORM 1099-G from NJ state [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I received form 1099-G from NJ state recently. For tax year 2007 they had mistakenly withheld my state refund but they sent me a check later. Now this form shows the same amount that I was refunded by them. Do I have to use this form in some way when I file for tax year 2008 ?

I received 1099-c form in the mail [ 3 Answers ]

I had a car through a tote the note place and it was repoed. I had it for 10 months. Then the sent me a 1099-c form. I was adding my taxes to see how much I was getting when I d it without the 8k my taxes would have been 7k and when I add that 8k in as income it said I'm getting 1k. I didn't know...

Form 1099 received, but do I report on Form 1040 or just Form 2106? [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I'm hoping I can get some help on what to do with a 1099-MISC form I received from my employer that were for business expense reimbursements. I have read through some questions and answers already and based on them I'm going to file this as a Form 2106. The question is should I...

View more questions Search