Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rahrigbarbara Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2012, 01:32 PM
    Why did 3 hamsters die within 1 week?
    My husband bought a black hamster, arount 3 months. Old. We put it in a new cage, with bedding, food and water. On the 3rd day, we found the hamster dead in the cage. My husband took the dead hamster back to the pet store
    And they replaced it, plus, he bought another one. 2 Black hamsters. Brought them home, put them in the cage, on Wedesday. We were gone for the day on Friday, when we got home, 1 of them had died. Took him out of the cage, and then the next morning when we got up, the other one had died, WHY. My husband took both of them back to the pet store to find out what is happending, and all they say, well, some live and some don't. But, 3 in 1 week, is unheard of. Can Yu please advise what s happenng.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2012, 11:46 PM
    They are very delicate little animals.

Is there anything in the cage that could be making them sick?

Have you cleaned it with any strong bleaches?

What kind of bedding are you using? Some aren't appropriate for rodents despite their packaging.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 6, 2012, 09:24 PM
    I have to add that not all breeds of hamster should be housed together. Syrians (the breed most often sold in pet stores), should not be housed together. They are solitary animals and will fight to the death.

Hamsters are hit and miss. They have a life span of 2-4 years, but most don't even make it to the 1 year mark. Diet, bedding, products used in the home, care, all of this can contribute to their life expectancy.

If you plan on getting another hamster I would completely disinfect the cage (bleach, steam, and then let it sit for a few months in a cold room), and I wouldn't get another hamster from the same pet store.

I'm sorry for your losses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dwarf hamsters [ 5 Answers ]

I'm not sure what "type" of dwarf hamsters we have... we purchased 2 from the pet store, out of the same cage. Upon birngin them home, I noticed (what now I know is the male), laying ontop of the female (she is on her back, mouth open, squeeling) and all the male is appearing to do is sitting...

My hamsters are fighting... Help [ 8 Answers ]

Ok, so I bought two supposedly female hamsters from pets at home last week, they were getting along fine until a few days ago when they started fighting. The smaller one seemed to chase the big one quite a lot and wouldn't let her in the house along with her. Today when I came home I noticed the...

What is on my hamsters lip. [ 5 Answers ]

So, my hamster, Cheerio, I've had for awhile. He is a dwarf hamster. I noticed this little thing on his lip one day. I didn't think much of it. Then I looked at it the next day and it look like a tooth at first, but it was attatched to his lip. It looks kind of like wood or bark. It's light brown...

How to breed hamsters [ 2 Answers ]

OK I got a male hamster and I had another male with him before but the other male was to aggressive so I separated them ad sold the aggressive male so I was planing on getting a female to breed with him. I know people who will buy the babes and my friend owns a pet store so I could sell them to...

How could my 2 week old kitten die? [ 1 Answers ]

Perfectly healthy cat( peanut), growing normally, and I woke up at 430am eastern time on 2.18.07 to find him dead. He has a sister name lucky that is healthy also but didn't have "spasm" type thing that peanut would have from time to time . These spasm's would consist of him crying and rolling...

View more questions Search