Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chipotleking Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2012, 05:21 PM
    Ejector Pump and Related Electric Question
    Hi,
    My question is simple, I have to install an injector pump in my basement crawl, and I will be doing so to code. However, in terms of getting power to the injector pump I wanted to hear what people normally do. I currently have a sump pump within the vicinity of where I will be installing the sewage injector pump, and it has its own dedicated outlet (home run to panel). My question is will that outlet be sufficient to run a sump pump and injector pump or should I make another home run to panel and dedicate the injector pit/pump to its own breaker. Keep in mind, I have an older panel, I believe they call them 'pushmatics' and I am aware of the problems associated with getting parts/service on these relics. Please don't be judgemental in your RE: just tell me what a liscened plumber would do when installing these things.

Thanks
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 2, 2012, 06:20 PM
    A licenesed plumber would have a licensed electrician run a dedicated wire to the ejector pump.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2012, 08:44 AM
    Hi Chip,
    Sounds like the real concern is about the capacity of the outlet being appropriate to power two pumps...
    The maximum load that I would recommend on any 15 amp, 120V outlet is 12 amps, the maximum load on a 20 amp, 120V outlet is 16 amps...
    The pumps you have should have the rated running current or full load current and voltage listed on them...
    If both add up to less than 80% of the circuit breaker size you can power them both. If more than 80% or you would prefer to play it safe... put them on their own circuits.
    ITE Pushmatic breakers may still be available just not easy to find.

Also, I would not allow a plumber to do electrical work unless of course he is licensed... filing for permits and inspections is not only required in the US for this work but I strongly recommend it

Be safe...
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 3, 2012, 09:17 AM
    A slight difference of opinion.

On a dedicated circuit, a single outlet and receptacle of either of 15 or 20 amps the maximum amperage is that of the overcurrent protection device (the breaker).

It becomes 12 or 16 amps when the circuit serves multiple receptacles.

Again, it really depends on the available power at the pneoard and the safety of the panelboard.

As previosly mentioned, I also would not recommend placing both devices on the same circuit.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2012, 02:15 PM
    Without knowing the details of each motor, one can only guess.

We need to know the horsepower of each motor.

Motor circuits are sized differently than standard receptacle circuits.
    chipotleking Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2012, 06:01 PM
    3/4 hp sump pit, (runs more so when it is raining) and the ejector pump is also 3/4hp. Lots of info guys, thanks for all the help. Decided to run a home run to panel, although I should probably upgrade to a new 200 amp svc. Down stairs, as I know them pushmatics are outrageous to replace the pushmatic breakers or to even add one. 50$ for a 15amp one!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Got a Question about a Sewer Ejector Pump Access Panel [ 2 Answers ]

Hey I've Got A Question For Ya Guy's... I'm A Residential Plumber... But Don't Know This One.. And Don't Have My Book On Me... I Have to install an Access Panel for a Sewer ejector pump some idiot put underneath a kitchen sink... The City won't Buy it... I Want to put it on the reverse wall next to...

Ejector pump [ 1 Answers ]

We have been in our "newly" built house for almost 7 years. The first ejector pump stopped working within the first year. It was replaced. Today the alarm is going off. The watchdog is saying that the pump isn't working.

Is Meyers pentair sewage ejector pump model SR1830 a quality pump? [ 1 Answers ]

Just installed a sewage ejector pump and I'm somewhat concerned about the manufacture. Not seeing very much information about Meyer. I see Zoeller and Little Giant, so I'm wondering if I got a quality systems. Considering all that was required to get the system in I don't want to revisit this for...

Sewage pump/ejector pump [ 2 Answers ]

My sewage/ejector pump sometimes won't shut itself off. It has gradually gotten worse as time goes by. What could be causing this? Any suggestions appreciated.

View more questions Search