Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bowes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2012, 06:49 PM
    Replaced guts of toilet, still won't flush-water leaking around bottom of toilet
    After husband replaced guts of toilet because both upstairs toilets will not flush-master bedroom worse, master bedroom toilet now leaking water around bottom of toilet. Emptied tank water, turned off toilet, still seeping water at bottom. Water same level in toilet bowl-did the toilet get loosened from having to work really hard to loosen 20 year old bolts? Where is water coming from? Hall bathroom toilet flushes a little better-but usually takes 2-3 flushes... 1st floor toilet flushes great-even tough we have to hold the handle. House built in 1984, we moved in 12 years ago.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 3, 2012, 06:15 AM
    You have a whole bunch of issues here. N Let's take them one at a time.
    On the toilet leaking from the base. Did you loosen the closet bolts on the bowl? Did the toilet back up? Did the bowl leak before you replaced the ballcock? Let ne know!
    Hall bathroom toilet flushes a little better-but usually takes 2-3 flushes...
    What happens? Does the bowl level raise, swirl around and then slowly drain down leaving solids behind? Let me know.
    .1st floor toilet flushes great-even tough we have to hold the handle.
    Y Check the tank water level, it should be at the mark in the tank or 3/8 to 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. Now look at the flapper, If it has wavy edges on the flat surface, replace it. The linkage between the flapper and the flush lever should have 1/4" play when the tank is filled. Also, check the small tube coming out of the top of the ballcock and make sure it's connect to and draining into the white overflow tube. If the leak is at the base of the tank there are two brass bolts on both sides of the flapper, if the tank is loose, leaking or wobbly, snug up the bolts. If there is dampness at the base of the bowl, pop off the china caps and snug down the closet bolts. I would check all this out before paying 50$ for a service call and 50$ a hour thereafter. More questions? I'm as close as a click. TOMour
    bowes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2012, 05:17 PM
    We'll give all your suggestions a try and let you know! Thanks for your quick reply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flush: When I flush the toilet the water does not wash all around the bowl. [ 10 Answers ]

Toilet flush: When I flush the toilet the water does not wash all around the bowl. There is always a section at the front that doesn't get washed. I have tried pushing the end of a wire coat hanger around the rim, and I have used copious amounts of cleaner. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Just replaced toilet! Bubbles coming up toilet? Leaking around base? [ 3 Answers ]

Just replaced my toilet, the previous toilet was not flushing correctly and now I have put in a new one Im trying to save myself money as I'm a single mother but every time I turn around it is costing me more! So please any details as to what I need to look for let me know. But this is what I did...

Toilet flushes (seemingly) but water comes out of 2 holes at bottom of base of toilet [ 2 Answers ]

The toilet flushes however water comes out of the one hole on each side at the base of the toilet. The toilet was clogged 1 day before... I'm guessing the clog has moved further downstream?? These 2 holes at base of (american standard ) toilet - 1 drilled on each side maybe 1/2 inch from ground -...

Cast iron leaking under toilet & other toilet won't flush [ 1 Answers ]

I noticed my kitchen sink stopped up. Checked both downstairs toilets, one drained fine other didn't. Grabbed the plunger. Plunged the toilet @ North end of house & no results, went to toilet on South end of house no result. Went back to sink, filled up with water & then plunged it. Water went...

Basement toilet just replaced sewage pump now toilet does not flush [ 1 Answers ]

Just replace sewage pump for basement bathroom on Sunday, all seems to be working fine. The toilet would not pull the water down/flush.

View more questions Search