Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

Feb 15, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Credit cards
    IS it haram to use credit cards?
    noha Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Mar 14, 2007, 06:18 AM
    No it isn't prohipited in islam I didn't think so because itr is a way of dealing with money and no proplem in dealing with a way to pay and please ask an expert in islam in that matter also (the shiekh)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 14, 2007, 06:25 AM
    I remember reading not too long ago that Islam prohibits borrowing money. So using a credit card might be iffy. I suppose, if you pay in full each month that may get around the rules.

Mar 14, 2007, 09:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I remember reading not too long ago that Islam prohibits borrowing money. So using a credit card might be iffy. I suppose, if you pay in full each month that may get around the rules.
    I'm not worried about the borrowing-money part, I'm worried about the paying-interest part.

Mar 14, 2007, 10:57 AM
    That's the thing. Borrowing money means paying interest. That's what appears to be a violation of Islamic law. That's why I said that paying in full so you don't incur interest might be OK.

Mar 14, 2007, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    That's the thing. Borrowing money means paying interest. That's what appears to be a violation of Islamic law. That's why I said that paying in full so you don't incur interest might be OK.
    Oh! I see. Ok, let's say you want to buy this but you need a credit card( you're buying online) the only way to not pay interest would be to pay in full?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 14, 2007, 12:03 PM
    There are many ways to buy online without a credit card. You can have a bank card ( atm type) that works like a credit card, you can use paypal.com that allows for online payments to be made and also issues a debit type card that can be used online.

So one can live their life withotu a credit card just fine.

Mar 14, 2007, 12:07 PM
    Most credit cards only charge interest when the balance on the statement is not paid in full and allowed to carry over. So if you pay the full balance no interest.

As Chuck mentioned, there are other ways to remit money like Paypal, or debit cards.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 14, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Under Sharia (Islamic) Law the use of credit of any kind is forbidden.
    Further reading here: Sharia

A number of banks in the UK are now offering Sharia bank accounts that have no overdrafts, no charges and offer no interest.
    Hey it's better than having mountians of cash in your house.
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Mar 14, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Basic bank accounts, which all uk banks have to offer, have no credit inolved. To buy online you could get a debit card so the money goes straight out of your bank account. The Halifax has an acount called Easycash that has no charges/overdrafts etc, and gives you a debit card.

Mar 14, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    There are many ways to buy online without a credit card. You can have a bank card ( atm type) that works like a credit card, you can use paypal.com that allows for online payments to be made and also issues a debit type card that can be used online.

So one can live thier life withotu a credit card just fine.
    Oh! OK. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Under Sharia (Islamic) Law the use of credit of any kind is forbidden.
    Further reading here: Sharia

A number of banks in the UK are now offering Sharia bank accounts that have no overdrafts, no charges and offer no interest.
    Hey it's better than having mountians of cash in your house.
    Doesn't that only apply to me if I'm living in a legal system based on Muslim principles of jurisprudence?

Mar 15, 2007, 05:37 AM
    The problem with a credit card is that even though you may pay the balance in full avoiding any interest charges, you are still borrowing money between the time you complete the transaction and the time you pay the bill. The credit card issuer advances you the money by paying the merchant you purchase from.

Mar 15, 2007, 02:03 PM
    But I want to buy this particular item but it doesn't say that I could use paypal.com so what are examples of bank cards?

Mar 15, 2007, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hamworld05
    Doesn't that only apply to me if I'm living in a legal system based on Muslim principles of jurisprudence?
    As I understand this, the prohibitions are a function of your religion not your legal system. If you consider yourself a devout Muslim, then these are rules you would want to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by hamworld05
    But I want to buy this particular item but it doesn't say that I could use paypal.com so what are examples of bank cards?
    Talk to where you bank and ask if they have Debit Cards.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Cards [ 15 Answers ]

Hello, I am wondering, I purchased two website's over the internet by a business out of Tempe, Arizona, two Days later they called convicing me to buy advertising for these websites. Well, I did and it cost me $6,500.00 for this advertising program later to figure out they are scammers. I...

Credit cards [ 5 Answers ]

My husband's grandmother is deceased. Credit card is closed but the credit card company is asking to pay $265. My husband is on his grandmother's credit card. Can the credit card company file action against my husband if he does not pay the amount due?

Credit cards. [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a credit card company that would pre approve some like me. I have a loan out for my car, but the first payment isn't due for a few more weeks so only the balance is on my credit report. I still don't have a score or anything for them to base anything on. I've tried a few credit...

Credit cards [ 18 Answers ]

My friend used her parents credit card after they had been deceased. When somebody called her house to speak with them a relative told the company they were desceased. Now the company is calling and wants a death certificate sent. What can she do to not get in trouble over this. Ignore the...

Credit cards [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! My brother is having problems with his wife. Right now they are living separately in two different places. At this moment she doesn't want to come to him. He has two kids. All the credit cards which he has, he is the primary member while she is the secondary member. I advised my brother to...

View more questions Search