Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pgphillips4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2004, 11:25 PM
    Basement Shower Smell
    This sounds like a lot of your previous questions but none of the scenarios match up.
    I have a shower in the basement of my 1928 house. I bad smell is coming from the drain. It looks like the drain doesn't match up with the 3-4" cast iron floor pipe and they used concrete to direct the water over a couple inches. I do not know if it has a Ptrap, I assume it doesn't from the smell. The previous owners and the people before that did not have any problems with the smell. Looks like it is vented, don't have any problems with flow of water from shower or toilet. I can feel cool air on the back of my hand coming from the drain. I have run the shower periodically to make sure it wasn't an evaporation thing. No luck though.

I did plug the drain to make sure the smell wasn't coming from somewhere else. When I did that the smell started coming from the hole in the shower knob (I took the cover off the knob). I assume this is because the drain is not sealed tight with the bottom of the shower. Seems like it gets worse in the winter.

Thanks for any help.
    Pete
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 22, 2004, 04:48 AM
    Basement Shower Smell
    Good morning Pete,
    First let's address the smell. Most bad oders in bathroom drains come from rotting hair mixed with grease from the soap. Try this. Tonight before you go to bed pour 1/2 gallon of bleach down the drain and let it set overnight. Next morning flush it down with a few large pans of boiling water. The bleach will start to dissolve and soften the hair and make it slippery and the boiling water will melt the grease and flush the mess out into the main. Now see if that smelly drain doesn't smell sweeter? You MUST ascertain that there is indeed a "P" trap on the drain. Sewer gas is hazardous to your health and the methane in it is explosive so making sure it's trapped and not open should be your first priority. Let me know what you find and if the smell was helped. Regards, Tom
    pgphillips4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2004, 01:19 PM
    Well, that seems to do the trick. It has been 1 week and no smell. (the bleach smell finally went away too)

Thanks for the advise, it was in the nick of time as I was ready to tear the stinky thing out!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 1, 2004, 07:53 AM
    Glad we could help
    Any time you have a plumbing question just call on us. We're here to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Septic smell in basement [ 1 Answers ]

OK... I want to start by saying I have done my homework over the past several weeks and several times thought I had this problem licked. I consider myself a handyman but this problem has got me stumped. We moved into this house in June 2005. In late October 2005 my wife and I noticed a foul...

Sewer smell in basement bathroom [ 24 Answers ]

I'm moving in a couple of months, but the house I'm renting right now has a really strong sewer smell coming from the shower drain, sink drain, and the drain for the washing machine, all in the basement. It's worse when the washing machine is running, but you can smell it pretty much all the time....

Please help - source of smell in basement? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am new to this board and would appreciate your help. We have had a bad sewer smell come and go from our basement - and the smell comes up into the rest of the house. We use the bathroom down there daily, so it's not a case of dried up p-traps, or whatever, and the smell is not in the...

Sewage Smell in Basement bath [ 6 Answers ]

We moved into this house last February. The house uses a septic tank which is located itneh front yard. Teh lot slpoes downwards towards the back. As a result, the basement bath is located lower than the septic tank. In the last 2 or 3 months the smell has become unbearable. We rarely use...

Gross Basement Bathroom Smell [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, We recently had a bathroom installed in our basement and it is smelling the house up completely. The sewer smell is coming from both the toilet and sink. What could it be? The color of the water is fine. The toilet seems to be flushing fine although sometimes I find that there is a lack of...

View more questions Search