Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kedrion Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2012, 07:50 AM
    Algae eater floating on top of water?
    My algae eater is floating on top of water belly up and when I touch him he moves a little is it sick or dying?
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Feb 4, 2012, 01:56 AM
    I would say 'Yes' to both possibilities.

I just lost one a month ago, only it wasn't floating upside down but on the bottom, and moving after being touched. Take it out of the tank, and put it in a small container of aquarium water if you want to wait till it passes before you dispose of it.

I have two others who are doing fine, plus a dozen baby guppies as well.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2012, 11:49 PM
    I agree with Paleo, not a good sign at all.

If you have other fish in the tank that are all healthy, and all the water levels are normal then it's just bad luck I'm afraid.

There isn't much you can give in the way of medications unless there are outward signs of sickness (ie: white spot, finrot etc).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hi I have a butterfly carp 5ins that is floating on its side on the top of the tank [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I have a butterfly carp about 5ins floating on the top of the tank and is having trouble swimming to the bottom I have put it in some freash water as the tank was a bit dirty and have some peas for it to eat as I have read problems on this and that's what it says to do, My problem is the fish...

Salt water pool - green algae [ 1 Answers ]

Salt water pool has green algae all over - what to do -

Green algae in my goldfish tank water [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 55 gallon fish tank with 2 very large goldfish (6 in from tip to tail). Three weeks ago I started to have green water after I did a 25% water change. I t came on very fast and any algae killer I put in was a waste of time. After a week I did a 50% water change and the same thing has...

Fish Floating At The Top Not Dead though what's Wrong? [ 3 Answers ]

My fish keeps on going up to the top of the tank and staying there.I think I've read somewhere that they do this when there over fed but I'm not sure.It acts like it needs to breath fresh air instead of water. It just floats at the top and then dives back down its head is allways pointing up like...

Death of algae eater [ 2 Answers ]

What would cause the death of algae eater? I have a plecostamus in 10 gallon tank with 2 black moor fish and they seem o.k. the algae eater was behind fake plants curled up in a ball. This is 2nd algae eater that died? I fed him the wafers but confused how often to feed.

View more questions Search