Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abacusx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2012, 12:11 PM
    US taxes on selling apartment in Moscow, Russia, that I owned for 15 years?
    Apartment was given to me by my ex, in exchange of me forfeiting other claims, out of court, more than 15 years ago. Since then I moved to US, and have become U.S citizen. It was not rented - extended family member was using this place. Now it is not needed, and I'm selling it. What should I expect from US taxes point of view? Thank you so much!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 31, 2012, 12:24 PM
    You will have to report the sale on Schedule D, and if the proceeds from the sale are more than your cost basis then you have a capital gain. The capital gains tax rate is 15% of the gain. If the proceeds are less than your cost basis you have a loss, but unfortunately you can't deduct a loss on the sale of private property.

The cost basis for the property is your origbnal purchase price (or your ex's purchase price, if he's the one who actually bought it), plus the costs of any capital improvements you may have made to the property over the years.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2012, 01:59 PM
    Everything ebaines says is true, but I believe it is possible for the capital gains tax to be ONLY 5% if your marginal tax bracket is 15% or lower.
    abacusx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2012, 03:02 PM
    Thank you for the answers! Apart from federal capital gain tax, are there any state taxes involved? I'm in New York. Thanks again!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2012, 03:06 PM
    Yes, because the states take the same attitude as the U.S. government. If you are a resident of the state, then ALL of your world-wide income is subject to state income taxes.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2012, 08:30 PM
    1. If you pay taxes in US you will claim foreign tax credit by filing form 1116.
    2. I am not sure but may be your cost basis is the fair market value on the date you got the property plus cost of improvements during the years you owned it.
    3. You must also be aware of forms TD F 90-22.1 (also known as FBAR) and Specified foreign financial assets (SFFA) Form 8938. Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Russian/US citizen selling a property in Russia tax implications [ 6 Answers ]

I am a US citizen of russian origin. I am selling my ancestral house in russia for about $350,000. Due to Perestroika we all got properties from communists into ownership for free. There is no way to calculate capital gain. Can I claim that this is my primary home? I have lived in the States for...

Selling myself owned domain names [ 3 Answers ]

I had got registered two domain names viz http://adpediaindia.com and http://adpediaindia.co.uk, both valid till July 2011. Pl get me help how can I go about it since I could not set up a full fledged website on my own. Rgds, Om.P.Sapra

Selling Bank Owned Homes [ 1 Answers ]

How do I go about contacting the banks to sell REO properties

Selling a Co-owned Property [ 4 Answers ]

My brother and I inherited two, free and clear houses in Missouri where he lives. I live in Georgia. The two are worth about $300-$350K. My mother filed a beneficiary deed with both my brother and I on it. Mom passed away almost eight years ago. One house is rented but the other vacant. I am...

View more questions Search