Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Secret12345 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2012, 10:40 AM
    Self Harming
    I know someone that self harms not really badly but quite bad. Her friends arnt really paying attention> what do you think she should do?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2012, 11:23 AM
    Is this person you? You appear to know and be all right with her cutting "not really badly" and her friends "not paying attention."

At any rate - I think she should talk to someone with some experience with people who cut. I realize the physical pain balances out the emotional pain but this is a dangerous practice which can escalate.

If you are her friend you will help her talk about it and get help.

If it's a cry for help or attention you need to find out why she is looking for attention, even if it's negative attention.
    akagirl1987 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Feb 20, 2012, 02:28 PM
    Hi, I have also self harmed in the past and it is not an easy thing to stop but it is possible.
    Firstly I think you need to talk to your friend and try to find out why they are doing this. It is unlikely to be for attention purposes, it will most likely be either a way to punish herself, as a release or to counteract some emotional pain, suggest these three points to her and see if you get any feedback. Finding out the cause of the self harm is the first step. Id suggest talking to a professional as they can offer some great advice. The other thing I found very helpful, was to write things/feelings in a journal rather than self harming. Also try gripping ice cubes hard into the fist when the urge to self harm occurs, this causes pain but no damage to the self harmer. Try to suggest these ideas and let me know how your friend gets on. Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I overcome self harming [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is louise and I am a self harmer, I have self harmed over a period of 9yrs and it has now become more of an adiction than actually hurting myself, I started when I was 14 and this was becoz I had so much s**t in my life that I wanted to die, I currently have a new life, and trying to...

Formatting C without harming D [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, while trying to format the boot partition (C) from partition D (where all my data is stored) something happened and the format process could not be completed. Since then I have no access to any of my hard disk's partitions. While trying to access them from the OS installation CD, it said...

Can anyone stop me from self harming? [ 26 Answers ]

Hi I'm 12 and I want to know how to stop self harming myself I just want to stop but I can't because of pain that I let owt though it so please can some one advise me how to stop?

My boyfriend is self harming [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a 14 year old girl and I have been in a relasionship with this guy for about 6 mounths. A few weeks ago one of my best friends and my sister came up to me in school and told me I need to start talking to him more for a short while I gave up attempting to talk to him because he didn't seem...

Physically Harming [ 5 Answers ]

Has anyone ever been in the same room as someone being physically attacked and see the bruise?

View more questions Search