Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goldent9 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2012, 08:49 AM
    Should my husband and I file our taxes married jointly or married separately?
    I am trying to figure out if we should file married jointly or married separately on both the federal and state returns. I live in Philadelphia and worked for half the year in Philadelphia and the other half in New Jersey. My husband works and lives in New Jersey. Should we file married jointly or married separately on our federal and state returns? Or is it possible to file married jointly for federal and married separate for state?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 31, 2012, 08:52 AM
    Usually it is cheaper to file jointly.
    There is only one way to find out - calculate both ways.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2012, 10:39 AM
    JoyPulv is correct; the return needs to be modeled BOTH ways to be sure.

However, most tax softwares have a JOINT vs SEPARATE tool which does a quick check to see if filing separately makes more sense than filing jointly.

Such tools MAY be wrong, but it can give an indicator to do the modeling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

File married jointly or married separately? [ 2 Answers ]

We have only W2 incomes, use standard deduction, with no dependents. My husband works in NJ making 11k, I work in NY making 6k. I am not sure to file married jointly or married separately for NJ and NY state tax. Which will have the highest tax refund? Can anyone give a rule of thumb?

Can I file as Married filing Jointly or Separately, if my wife has not entered US. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi David, I thought I'd post in this topic because I have a case similar to that of Balajinaik. However the website doesn't let me continue in his post, so I have to start a new Thread. I have been on an H1B visa through 2006 and will be filing as a resident alien. I got married in India in...

File jointly or separately for a married couple? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My husband and I have very complicated situation. We do not know if we need to file separately or jointly to get maximal tax return. I came to US from China with F1 visa in 2004 and now I am still a student with F1 visa. Based on the tax law, I am a resident alien for 2009. My husband...

H1B married to F1 visa. File jointly/ separately [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have been in the US since 2003 and am on H1 visa since 2006. Actually I have more than one question 1. My wife (on F1) came to the US in July 2007. Due to ignorance, we filed her taxes through turbotax (dint know non resident students can do that) and she also received the stimulus rebate...

File married filing jointly or separately, just married [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I got married in October 2008. I was living in Louisiana and her in Virginia. We now both live in Virginia. Our salaries and investments etc. vary greatly. Should we file married and jointly or separately?

View more questions Search