Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anatnas Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 02:56 PM
    Criminal background record
    I recently applied for a position at a local bank. They took my finger prints to run a criminal background check through the FBI. The FBI report shows that I was arrested on 12/14/1980 for theft of personal property. The problem is that at the time of the arrest, I provided a false name.

Can I remove this from my records? How?

Thank you
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2007, 03:44 PM
    How old were you then? Why did you use a false name? What was the outcome of the charges?

Feb 15, 2007, 04:08 PM
    At the time of the arrest I was 22 years old. The reason I provided a false name was more out of fear than anything else not thinking that was come back to hunt me. I was placed on probation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 15, 2007, 04:28 PM
    First it does not matter what name you used when arrested, they prove it is you by use of your fingerprints, and unless you file in court to have it explunged it will always be on your records.

Using a fake name just makes it worst on you and will make the judge wonder if they should give you another chance by clearing this.

Normally they will not consider it for at least 10 years and in that time you will have to show you were not in any other trouble, you received additoinal education and held good and steady jobs.

But no matter what the name, it just looks a lot worst that you were using fake names, ( at least to the people looking at your record)

For many jobs you could explain a small theft years ago, but lying and falsifing court records makes you look a lot worst to a possible employer.

Feb 15, 2007, 06:11 PM
    I realize now that it was foolish of me to provide a false name at the time of the arrest 26 years ago. I also understand what you said that I will always have a criminal record. However, I will be contacting an attorney to try to have this record expunge for future employment.

I have not been in any type of trouble since 1980. I also graduated from college as an Engineer and married a wonderful woman. The annual salary for the position that was offered to me at the bank was $90,000 +.

I hope people can learn from my mistake. As the old saying goes – It is easy to get in trouble…but a hell to get out.

Thank you for taking the time to response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Expunging of Military Criminal Record [ 25 Answers ]

In 1995, CID was investigating my friend, when asked, I admitted that I had used Marijuana and LSD with her on one instance. I was not arrested, never went to court, but I was given a Field Grade Article 15/UCMJ. Lost rank, was given restriction and suspension to post. I had never before nor ever...

Criminal Background [ 2 Answers ]

How can I get my criminal backgroung cleared if I did something 12 years ago?

I'm not the criminal [ 4 Answers ]

Confused: Is there any forums available that could help me deal with my feelings on the way my twenty-four year old daughter has chosen to live her life? She has been in jail two times for shoplifting. Drugs are involved, she won't work (couldn't pass a drug test)! She has gone such an extreme...

Criminal background 12 yrs.ago... [ 2 Answers ]

I am getting ready to go back to school in the medical field; I'm offered job placements through where I graduated .Do I have to worry about possibility of rejection because of a past record-over 10yrs.ago?! I've been told it shouldn't be that big of a deal... but,I have concerns because school...

Criminal Investigation [ 1 Answers ]

I want to become a crime scene investigator. I have a BA in sociology and I am currently going to school for anotherassociates degree in criminal justice and a certificate in forensic science. Does anyone know what I need to do to get this type of job? What type of classes I need? ANy types of...

View more questions Search