Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guscusi Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2012, 06:38 AM
    Can I claim my daughter, away to college, as a dependent
    My daughter, 19 years old, has no earned or unearned income, and is a full time student 400 miles away from home. We pay 100% of all her bills: housing, food, books, tuition, etc... The rules seem to say that she has to live with us at least half a year, but she lives with us during summer and on the breaks, so it does not add up to 6 months. Nevertheless, we pay for 100% of her expenses, so she is a 100% dependent, at least "logically". Can we claim her as a dependent?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 31, 2012, 07:41 AM
    Time away at school for a full time student is considered a temporary absence, so equivalent to being at home. Hence you have no problem with claiming her as your dependent.

Jan 31, 2012, 07:59 AM
    Thank you. It did seem so, but was double checking. Thanks for the quick reply!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 31, 2012, 08:19 AM
    You're welcome! By the way, there are other forms of "temporary absences" besides education during which your child is considered to live with you, including being away on account of illness, vacation, business, or military service.

Jan 31, 2012, 10:49 AM
    Thanks, again!

Gus

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I claim my Daughter as dependent [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US in December 2009 on H1 Visa, My Wife and 3 year old Daughter came to US on July 2, 2010. They have not completed 183 days (Completed only 182 days) on 31st December. 1. Can I file my Taxes Jointly 2. Can I Claim my Daughter for Dependent Benefits Thanks in Advance. Anurag.

Can you claim a dependent even if the dependent files [ 2 Answers ]

My son is twenty seven. He lived with us from Nov. 08 to July 09. He didn't have a job during those months. He found a job in Aug. 09 and worked until Dec.09. He got laid off. Will we be able to claim him as a dependent even if he files??

Can I claim my non-resident alien 5 yr old daughter as dependent in my tax filing [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a post-doctoral researcher (J1) visa, staying in USA for a last 3 years and treated as Resident alien for tax purposes. I have my wife and daughter (J2 visa) as dependents for the last 1 year in USA. I want to file the taxes jointly with my wife (who has no income and has ssn), and claim...

Can a H1 claim a F1 as dependent? [ 4 Answers ]

This is the first time I am filing taxes under H1 status. I have been working on OPT until Oct 2007 and since then working on H1. I am single and My brother stays with me under F1 visa (since 2005) and I would like to know if I can claim my brother as my dependent. He does not have any income...

Should I claim myself or allow my dad to claim me as a dependent on his taxes [ 2 Answers ]

I Am Almost 22 , I Go To Nursing School And Totally Support Myself. I Did Work In 2007 Up Until June. My Dad Is Wanting To Claim Me As A Dependent, But I Think I Would Be Better Off If I Claim Myself. Should I Claim Myself, Or Should My Dad Claim Me? What Is Better For Me?

View more questions Search