Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yawpac Posts: 12, Reputation: -4

Jan 31, 2012, 12:14 AM
    How do I become a perfect dad
    I'm married with a baby girl.how do I become the perfect dad to ma daughter.what are the little things she will be expecting from me.
    awesomagic Posts: 69, Reputation: 46

Jan 31, 2012, 03:25 PM
    The way to become a perfect dad is to make peace with the fact that you're not going to be a perfect dad. You're going to make mistakes. Let your daughter know, as she grows up, that she is loved by you. You will do things wrong, and so will she. But you will love her not because of her faults, but in spite of them. And she will love you in that same respect. If you both make an honest effort, you will both be just fine. The fact that you posed this particular question is an answer in itself. You will do a fantastic job!

Jan 31, 2012, 03:36 PM
    awesomagic... ur comment is helpful.. thanx. I now have the courage to move on as a dad.may be you will be a living example to me,since I had no dad.thanx
    awesomagic Posts: 69, Reputation: 46

Jan 31, 2012, 09:02 PM
    yawpac, I would be honored. Thank you for your kind words.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2012, 09:14 PM
    There is no such thing as the perfect dad.
    You do your best. You love your kids. Give them guidelines, and limitations, and help them learn to become good people and grow into healthy adults.

Congratulations! And good luck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 31, 2012, 09:30 PM
    Agree, there is no such thing as a perfect dad, and if you try, you will normally be a poor dad.

First you just take time for them, and you keep your promises to them. No one ever said at the end of their lives, I wish I had spent more time at work, but they always wish they had more time with family.

Next learn to say no, no they can not have this, no they can not do that. Next you are not their friend, and don't try to be. They will not like you sometimes, it comes with the job.

Feb 1, 2012, 12:01 AM
    Thank you Fr_Chuck,but I don't understand why you say I shouldn't be friends with them.could you explain further?
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2012, 12:25 AM
    He means you are not her buddy from school. Or another kid from the playground. You need to be the parent. That is nt to say that you can't play with your kids and have fun with them. It just means you are not PEERS.

Does that make sense?

Feb 1, 2012, 03:54 AM
    I really do not agree to that Jenniepepsi.I think as a father your child should see u in all these three context:that is a friend,a parent, and a mentor.you cannot take one out,but as you rightly said there should be set bounderies or limits when dealing with him/her.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 1, 2012, 04:49 AM
    There is a difference between being a friend and being a parent. Basically the two are often in conflict with each other. You often can't be a friend to a child and still protect them properly.

Being a parent doesn't mean you aren't being supportive, loving, helpful etc. Which are qualities one wants in a friend. But you are not your child's friend. You are not a peer that shares the same interests and activities, though there are times you may do so. Its hard to put into words, but if you try to be both a parent AND a friend, you will most likely fail at both. So don't even try. Show your child that you love her. Share her interests as she grows and try to get her to share yours. But don't step over the line of being a parent.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2012, 09:01 AM
    Children learn by example - it's more about being a good example ALL the time and less about preaching.
    kcthatsme Posts: 23, Reputation: 6

Feb 3, 2012, 09:53 AM
    Nobody can claim they are the perfect parent, it's unrealistic. I have an amazing relationship with my daughter because first & foremost, she can tell me ANYTHING! Build that bond by listening, I mean REALLY listening to what your son or daughter is telling you. Make sure they know that you will be there no matter what and there is NOTHING in this world that they can't come to you and talk to you about. It's all about trust, communication and respect... give and take. In my opinion, if you are asking this question and you truly care about becoming a great dad... You're on the right track! :)
    justmethistime Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2012, 02:15 PM
    Very true... no such thing as perfect... Communication is key. You want your kids to be able to come to you with anything and I think you need to be honest and let them know when you don't have the answers. Lots of men think their resp. is only financially but you need to make your marriage a priority so your child witnesses a loving relationship that one day they will try to emulate. When you make a promise, follow through and when you don't have the answers let them see you pray for guidance. Don't preach the good life, live it... I hate the aspect... do as I say not as I do. Kids watch everything... preach God's love AND show it... probably the first time you will ever understand unconditional love... when you hold that child that is yours.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My daughter is receiving dissability beniftis from dad. Dad owes arearages is the ss [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter has just starting receiving ss disability benefits off her father.. her father owes arearages. Does the dissability benefit she receives takes get deducted from what he owes.

How to show my dad as my newly immigated dad as my dependent for insurance purposes [ 1 Answers ]

How to show my dad who is new lawful immigrant and will get a green card as my dependent for health insurance and tax purposes

Bad dad, good dad my 12 y/o son wants to live with me [ 1 Answers ]

I am a father of three children. My 2 oldest are on there on now, by a previous marriage. My youngest son will be 12 in April. He has mentioned to me many times that he wants to come and live with me. I've told him many times that living with me would be no different than living with his mother as...

My son has a dad and now the biological dad came out of da blue and wants a dna test? [ 5 Answers ]

When I was five months pregnant my sons dad abandoned me and started denying my son, I started dating someone else who didn't care that I was pregnant he still chose to love me and be with me, he even had a few words with the loser when I was eight months pregnant and needed things for the baby...

View more questions Search