Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taxtaxtax Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 02:26 PM
    B1 visa but want to claim and return the tax
    On year 2005, I came to USA as J1 work and travel program--so I got the SSN
    Then on 2006, I came to USA as B1/B2 (tourist visa) and work in USA
    And the problem is when I filled W-2 form (2006), I wrote EXEMPT on that form, and now they send me 1040NR-EZ and 1040NR form to fill and return to IRS (I really want to fill and send it back because I guess I can't put exempt on that W-2 form--am I correct?) however, now I fear that DHS will come to catch me to the jail or
    Because on 2007, I will go to USA as J1 training again and I don't want to have any problem from this thing --what should I do?Should I fill the form and send it back both W-4 and 1040NR-EZ Help me

I really want to return the tax back to IRS but I also fear about my status because now I am in USA as J1 training, and I don't want DHS or police send me back home because I used to work with wrong visa
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 16, 2007, 10:47 AM
    While working on a B1/B2 visa is against the law, you will NOT go to jail. In my opinion, the US justice system has bigger fish to fry. Just do not make it a habit.

However, if you worked in 2006, there is probably a paper trail showing your income, so you need to file a non-resident tax return (probably Form 1040NR-EZ).

Feb 16, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    While working on a B1/B2 visa is against the law, you will NOT go to jail. IMHO, the US justice system has bigger fish to fry. Just do not make it a habit.

However, if you worked in 2006, there is probably a paper trail showing your income, so you need to file a non-resident tax return (probably Form 1040NR-EZ).

So basically, you suggest me to file the tax return on time rite? (actually I want to do like that also :>)

But I just fear that IRS will report me to other department (like Justice or DHS or etc.) and I can't stay in USA anymore

Because now I am holding J1 visa (training program), and I will be sent back to my country because I did like this
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 16, 2007, 11:29 AM
    The IRS, as a matter of law, does NOT share income tax information with the USCIS unless the USCIS asks about a specific individual's tax status.

However, you really have no choice but to file. The IRS knows you earned income in 2006 and expects a tax return to be filed.

Failure to do so is much more likely to get you in trouble than the minor work violation of your B1/B2 visa.

Feb 18, 2007, 11:48 AM
    The IRS, as a matter of law, does NOT share income tax information with the USCIS unless the USCIS asks about a specific individual's tax status.

However, you really have no choice but to file. The IRS knows you earned income in 2006 and expects a tax return to be filed.

Failure to do so is much more likely to get you in trouble than the minor work violation of your B1/B2 visa.

I will file the form since I don't have any choice (but I want to file the form anyway :>)
    Thx for yr advise;) , now I think I am sure that IRS won't share my info to other department since I am nobody :)

PS. I just fear that they going to send me back home since I am still holding J1 training visa till September 2008--wat do you think?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 18, 2007, 06:00 PM
    I sincerely doubt that they will revoke the J-1 visa for working during a B-1 visa visit.

Mar 2, 2007, 11:40 AM
    I sincerely doubt that they will revoke the J-1 visa for working during a B-1 visa visit.
    But now I am at USA as J1 trainee visa already! So do you think if I file this form, does the immigration going to come to investigate me?
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2007, 11:22 AM
    You MAY get a letter from Immigration, but I sincerely doubt it.

You WILL get contacted by the IRS if you do not file; THAT, you can count on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H2B visa tax return policy [ 1 Answers ]

I am a single worker with a h2b visa since last year in usa and I would like to know what taxes I will be eligible to get back from the government ,in what percentage.I am working in California and I pay taxes like american citizens.

L1 visa tax return filing for dependents, self [ 1 Answers ]

Iam on L1 visa workpermit in US, Foreign National, resident alien, (2005-2006) worked from sep-05 to Apr-06 as Single status (ie,. I did not bring my dependents). Returned to home country in 2006 April, and back to US again in Oct-06 to till date with dependents (ie wife + kids). I received my...

Tax Return for H3b Visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine is currently working in th U.S on a H-3B visa. She has been advised that she can only claim back $602 of the $2335,62 in Federal Tax that she has paid in over the last year... is this possible ?

Tax Return for H1B visa holder -expenses- [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B visa since this Oct. 2nd. My OPT expired on June 2006, so I went back to Japan and stayed there Until end of Sept. My company hold my position while I am gone since I was supposed to apply last year (Due date was so quick so I could not Apply, but company promissed they'll...

Tax return for "married" with wife on H4 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in New Jersey since September 2004. So in the calendar year of 2005 I have been a resident of New Jersey. I am on H1 Visa. My wife Came to US in May 2005 on H4 Visa. I have following questions on filing tax return for 2005: 1. Am I a resident alien? Is my wife a ...

View more questions Search