Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oreoisis Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 01:32 PM
    Going to court for credit card debt
    I had a sheriff show up with papers for me to go to court for a credit card company, owe them money from 7 or 8 years ago of course the finance charges have been building since then. What happens to me if I don't go to court that day? Will I have a warrant out for my arrest?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2007, 01:42 PM
    NO you will not be arrested, but they will obtain a judgment against you, and then, attach your wages, checking accounts, and thing they can find.

If the debt is that old the SOL may be expired and you can have if dismissed.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 15, 2007, 01:45 PM
    May I ask why you would just let them win? If you don't show up in court, then they are handed a default judgement. This means they can go after your salary, assets etc.

There are several threads in this forum with info on how to fight them. Please read them and don't just let them win.

Feb 15, 2007, 01:47 PM
    Credit card debt
    Can they garnish my wages I don't make that much

Feb 15, 2007, 01:48 PM
    First, if you have a follow-up, rpley in the thread, don't start a new thread. But yes they can garnish your wages depending on where you live.

Feb 15, 2007, 01:49 PM
    So I should show up at court?

What do you mean by follow-up?

Feb 15, 2007, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oreoisis
    so I should show up at court?
    Again, please use the reply feature.

That is what we said. Again, also, read other threads here and in Bankruptcy and Debt forum.

Feb 15, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oreoisis
    what do you mean by followup?
    Follow-up means asking another question on the issue. Use the Quick Answer box at the bottom of the thread to post follow-up questions. DO NOT start a new note.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Debt - How to Get out of IT? [ 12 Answers ]

I have a large credit card debt of $26000+ on a single card, and a few debts of $900-$1450 on three other cards. I am on a student fellowship, so I don't get very much money each month, but I really need to get out from under this debt - this month the interest rate seems to have drastically...

Old credit card debt [ 3 Answers ]

I have an account that has not had any activity on it since 2/02. No payment was made on this account for about 6 months prior to that. I ran into financial difficulties because of medical reasons and had a loss of income. Recently another company has contacted me concerning this account because...

Ex-bf and his credit card debt [ 7 Answers ]

I need advice. My problem involves an ex-bf and a credit card account. When I met my ex-bf, he didn't have great credit, so I agreed to open up an account to purchase a laptop for him and he would pay for the credit card. The problem is that, we broke up a few months later. He continued to make...

Credit Card Debt [ 4 Answers ]

My Mother is 85 and in poor health. She has about $30,000.00 in credit card debt. Due to increased medical bills, perscriptions and her mobil home rent increase she is not able to pay these bills. She has no assets, and her only income is her SS monthly check. Several credit card companies have...

View more questions Search