Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2012, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ladylove25 View Post
    Judy-Also i really do not believe what you said about me never making a living in any facet of law enforcement unless i worry less what everybody thinks of me because i know that my first obligation should be to justice. However, there are certain people that i should always worry about what they think of you.It can keep you honest and keep you on your toes if you're constantly questioning, for example what my mother would think of me or what martin luther king, jr would think of me.when it comes to criminals it should not matter what they think.

Trust me - the bad guys are going to call you names. Puerto Rican will be one of the least-insulting ones.

Your first obligation will NOT be to justice, unless, of course, you are planning to become a Judge.

Your responsibility will be to enforce the law and let someone else hand out justice.

I spent years in law enforcement. I still work with the legal system. Trust me - you need to learn to spell AND develop thick skin or your tuition money is being wasted.

Just out of curiosity - what branch of law enforcement are you intending to join?
    ladylove25 Posts: 100, Reputation: 0

Jan 30, 2012, 02:29 PM
    Judy- just read all your answers. No I'm not trolling I really made the mistake. And I just want some advice on my new posts which I have some already so thanks.
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2012, 02:37 PM
    I never said you were a troll. YOU said, "How do I troll someone that trolled me by calling me "a trap"? Lol" Now I wonder - are you posting in two names BECAUSE I did call someone else a troll on another thread.

Odd, indeed.

Jan 30, 2012, 02:42 PM
    -Im aware of that
    -I mean that my main focus would be justice So I would put my concern of what other people think aside.
    -well I'm working on developing a thick skin. I don't have perfect spelling.
    -FBI

Uber Member

Jan 30, 2012, 02:45 PM
    [QUOTE=ladylove25;3015256
    -FBI[/QUOTE]

If you are in any branch of law enforcement OTHER than "employed" as a Judge or Justice, justice is NOT your top concern. Maybe you don't understand the terminology. You don't get involved with the "justice" part - you are ONLY involved in law enforcement. You have nothing to do with sentencing OR recommending sentences. In fact, you gather facts and evidence. You do not dispense justice.

FBI? Solid, well respected branch - you (obviously) need a Bachelor's degree, pretty much top of your class.

I worked for the Feds and didn't like being transferred around.

Good luck - they hire the best of the best. If that's your goal, I hope you reach it.

Jan 30, 2012, 02:59 PM
    Judy-Yes when I gather evidence and when I investigate, I do feel like I am doing my part in justice in a way.
    I just started intro to criminology so I'm still learning. Any tips on what I should expect when working in that field?
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2012, 03:28 PM
    Sorry for the delay - I'm working and have two screens open (okay, I'm self employed).

What to expect? Well, if you want to be "FBI" you have to be smarter than average, with a four year related degree. Criminal justice is good. I know the FBI likes pre-law.

All the men who post are going to jump up and down when I say this BUT as a female you have to keep up with the men and that isn't always possible. I'm not a big woman, and I always had a problem with physical testing because I don't have the upper body strength that men have. I always passed but sometimes it was a real struggle for me. I work out with weights to this day.

You also need thick skin. Maybe the "bad guys" will call a Police Officer a pig. Trust me, they'll call you tons worse.

If you do speak Spanish you will have an advantage - bi-lingual is always good and for a period the FBI only hired bi-lingual.

Be prepared to be transferred or assigned to another post very often with little notice. I worked in NY, Boston, Chicago, Baltimore (where I worked the piers), Toronto, Tampa, just about every place. Got to see a lot of places I never would have seen otherwise.

Obviously stay clean - no arrests for anything because the Feds can access everything on your record and that does mean EVERYTHING, dismissed, removed, anything else.

Keep in mind that the FBI does a very thorough background search - talks to your neighbors, your friends, your ex-friends, your parents, in some cases their friends.

Here's where the men get excited and not on my side - as a woman in law enforcement it's MY opinion that a woman has an uphill fight, needs to prove herself regularly.

I'd read anything about law enforcement that you can get your hands on - anything. Be informed, be up to date, know your stuff. Know it before you are asked. Sharpen your senses - take a look at situation from all angles. Sometimes people get a second sense that other people don't have. Other times they don't and it's all education.

My best friend could literally look at someone and say he/she looks nervous. And she'd be right - they were nervous for a reason. Me? I'd be paging through the computer, checking names.

That's about all that comes to me right now. Anything else interest you?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 30, 2012, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    A trap? Not only don't I understand why this is insulting I don't understand it at all.
    Trap is slang for a young looking transsexual or crossdresser.

So... if the OP isn't a transsexual or a crossdresser, then "trap" may be insulting. If the OP is, then perhaps it's not an insult after all.
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2012, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Trap is slang for a young looking transsexual or crossdresser.

So...if the OP isn't a transsexual or a crossdresser, then "trap" may be insulting. If the OP is, then perhaps it's not an insult after all.

Hmm - well, that could explain things. Never heard the phrase before. "Helpful" AND applause for you.

Jan 30, 2012, 05:08 PM
    How many women are in the fbi?
    What is training like if there is any?
    How fit do I have to be exactly? I'm 5'6 113 pounds and my metabolism is still going strong.
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2012, 06:36 PM
    You'd have to look at the current standards and requirements.

An Internet search can give you the percentage of men and women.

I don't know the current training - it used to be 6 months.

Jan 31, 2012, 12:05 PM
    LearningAsIGo-forgot to say thank you and that your advice was helpful :)

Jan 31, 2012, 11:08 PM
    Judy-ah OK
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2012, 09:06 AM
    Let me know how it works out for you -

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you deal with habitual liars? Do you think honest people have to? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to hear your opinion about habitual liars. I think it's easier for people who are also liars to deal with the same kind. I'm pretty honest. I lie sometimes but not like even if there's no shame at stake. Sometimes they even lie to help each other out when they got problems. It's crazy. ...

How to deal with people that you don't feel respect you? [ 8 Answers ]

OKay, as some of you may know, I started at job at a coffee shop in October. Well, I'm having an issue with a couple of people that I work with. They've never actually outright done anything to me, but their patronizing demeanor really offends me. I try very hard to do well at work, Sometimes I...

Deal with people. [ 1 Answers ]

How do u deal with peole whome you are with down to earch nice and they can't say only two majic words (thank you), they are taking everything from as they desever it and when u need something they have nothing, if something happens (even a small thing they will blame on u), could anyone please...

How do people deal with conflict? [ 7 Answers ]

How do people deal with conflict?

View more questions Search