Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cpotvin Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Wiring two wall sconces from a common junction box
    Wiring two wall sconces from a common junction box

Good day.

I have two wall sconces that were wired to a common junction box where they obtained their source of power (SOP). They each have their own on and off switches on the light fixture.
    I wish to connect both wall sconces to a dimmer.
    I’ve wired a dimmer to the junction box due to its location.

Would the following wiring scenario be correct?

1. Marret the neutral (white) wires of both wall sconces to the neutral from the SOP
    2. Marret the positive (black) wires of both wall sconces to the negative wire of the dimmer.
    3. Marret the positive wire of the SOP to the positive wire of the dimmer.
    4. Marret all ground wires (green) together.

I've attached a drawing if it at all helps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Attached Images

tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2007, 03:54 PM
    The wiring diagram sure looks like it will work, as long as the black line represents the white neutral wire.
    cpotvin Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2007, 07:02 AM
    Yes... since there is no way for me to actually draw a visible white line I used black in the diagram to represent the neutral white wire and red to represent the positive and green for the grounding wire.
    Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Junction Box Fill [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to find what the fill capacity on electrical junction boxes are. I found this chart The thing that is stumping me is do you count grounds or not? For example, the specific instance that has me looking is that I have a 4x4x1 1/4 box, with 4 12/2 cables in it. If you don't...

Dedicated Bathroom Junction Box [ 2 Answers ]

The homerun for a dedicated bathroom circuit currently supplies a pull-chain light in a closet (closet is not in the bathroom). I would like to remove the pull-chain and have a junction box there. Is this okay or since there is a junction box in a non-bathroom location does that violate the...

Joining wires in a junction box [ 1 Answers ]

In wiring a house, I have each room's wiring pulled to a junction box in the attic. Each junction box will be a circuit, with a home run going from the junction box to the panel. There are more wires than a single wire nut can join. Do I use jumpers to group the entire bunch so that that all...

Junction box question [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have a quick junction box question. Is there a limitation to the amount of wires I can safely join in a junction box? If so, what is it and are there regulations to what size box I can use? Thank you. I would like the have 8 wires (neglecting ground) in one junction box (1 in / 3 out)....

Junction Box size [ 2 Answers ]

I have and oven with 10/3 mc cable attached. I am going to splice this to a 10/3 romex cable that I pulled from the sub panel. Is a metal 3" deep single gang box big enough? How many cubic inches do I need? Thank you

View more questions Search