Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mikeinohio Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2009, 12:05 PM

TAN misrepresents it's properties, lots of hidden costs in the trips, plays dumb when you relay your bad experience at the place.
    gumby1119 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2009, 01:13 AM
    Shelley,

Here is my story... if you or anyone is interested in the entire scheme, please read this. My boyfriend and I purchased 12 vacations for $4000 from Sundance Vacations in Downer's Grove, IL nearly a year ago and have not used one (he entered to win a car at a Bulls game). We were pressured by "smiley-faced", pursed-lipped, strong-armed sales sharks until the price seemed too good to be true.
    The "free" 3-day, 2-night vacation (take more vacations, you live longer, huh?) probably took more years off my life. I called Spirit Incentives to schedule (after paperwork and waiting for the notice to call - about 6 weeks total) and was told that I could give one date for Reno, Las Vegas, or Orlando, or 3 dates for one location. I said I wanted to go to Las Vegas at the end of October, mid-December, or end of February... any of those peak for Vegas? Not to my knowledge. I was told what they had to offer was the only offer on the table and if I chose not to take it I would lose my $50 deposit. They offered me Orlando (which I did not chose) at the end of October. I sensed the scam brewing, yet I accepted because I wanted so badly to believe this was a good thing. BIG MISTAKE ON MY PART!
    As the scammer (NOTE: anyone who works for these companies are scammers, working for money to live on this earth is one thing, attmepting to extort hard-earned money from people rather than doing hard work yourself is quite another) read my flight itinerary, I realized the mistake I had made by believing in this company. The first day had us arriving in Orlando at 8PM. So, by the time we got off the plane, got the rental car and checked in at the hotel any form of amusement would be over at that point. The second day was a full day (little did I know what was waiting for us at the hotel). The third day, our flight was at 8 AM. We had to check out of the hotel at 6 AM to make our flight.
    Wait, keep reading, it gets better. I received a call a few days before departure on my "free" vacation from Bluegreen Resorts (the third company responsible for making this "vacation" a living hell). They offered to upgrade my hotel stay to a 5-star resort for $50 and 1-hour of my time which they would compensate me for. I agreed, thinking, "Well what could I accomplish in Orlando in 1 day anyway? Might as well hang out by the pool..." I paid. So $100 down PLUS the taxes paid puts me out of around $150 for this "free" vacation. We arrive in Orlando and are told to drive to the Bluegreen Welcome Center for instructions. The instructions inform us that we need to be at the Sales Center at the resort bright and early for the 1-hour presentation. Okay... by this point we did not have dinner. We ate at Subway. At least I got to have my favorite fast food. We partied in the room on our first "day." The next morning, bright and early, we arrived at the Sales Center to party music. We got Lei'd. We got cheers and free hats thrown our way. It looked FAKE. The type of cheerfulness you want to punch in the face. And this was the "free" vacation that was supposed to help me enjoy life... I'm 26, still consider myself to be young and naïve at times. I honestly had no idea this was going to be a time-share presentation. We constantly told the shark trying to extort our money that we had already purchased a package from TAN who gave us this trip which is why we somehow ended up sitting in front of him.. Make sense? He told us we should find a way to sell our vacation package we purchased but in the meantime give him money for his vacation package because it is a much better deal (he did literally say just that, but he said he couldn't tell us how to sell it, that was our responsibility). This time we said NO and meant it... for the next 2 1/2 hours. It was supposed to be 1-hour. He called the manager over. Manager was unavailable. He left us sitting there alone for 30 minutes, then came back, scribbled a bunch of nonsense on the back of the sales booklet, then told us we had to follow him. He took us on a tour bus to see the units after we already said we weren't at all interested. (The information I received from the "welcome center" clearly stated that if I didn't show up to the 1-hour meeting with my significant other I would be charged the full price of staying at the resort, and I don't have that kind of money. I didn't want to take the chance of being charged for leaving the seminar). When we got back he rudely told us to go next door to get whatever it was we were promised and stalked away (no handshake, no "Nice to Meet You", not good business ethics). We did. We were told to sign a list stating we were there and then we were free to go. I told them we were supposed to get a gift. The cashier said... "The salesman wrote that since you didn't buy a package you don't get a gift." After 2 1/2 hours on our 1-day (now 1/2 day) vacation... how dare they! I made sure we got the $100 in the sternest voice and attitude I could muster without strangling the ignorant behind the counter (because after all, as most of you would claim, he was just doing his job). We received a "free" lunch with those cards. We received a nearly "free" dinner (not Subway) with those cards. We walked around Orlando for about 4 hours, and decided we'd be better off going to a movie theater on our "vacation." We spent the night in our room and woke up at 6 AM to make our flight on our last day of vacation. Then, we spent the entire day getting back to Chicago due to the horrible planning of the agent working for Spirit Incentives. We arrived in Chicago at dinnertime after leaving before breakfast.
    Sundance Vacations, think closely about who you do business with, because it reflects horribly on you. Whether TAN has received awards, the hell that you offered to us makes us want to wash our hands of you. Sundance and Sunshine employees, whether you have a great time in your job, your company still associates with scammers. That makes you at least partially responsible for the hell we went through to enjoy life for the intro vacation to our vacation package. The "free" vacation you offer through a third-party should be the best because it's free. That's how I felt going into it. Ignorance is not bliss. If you are aware that those third parties are screwing their customers, you are an accomplice. I am also to blame for being ignorant to websites like this one that offers me the reviews to make an informed decision about doing business with people like you. Spirit Incentives is a scammer. Bluegreen resorts is a scammer. Sundance Vacations is a scammer. All the employees who receive paychecks from these companies are scammers. I plan to attempt to make a reservation later this year for one of my soda can vacations. I hope like the rest of you happy people that I will have nothing but happy memories. This experience has opened my eyes to all that I was ignoring - there are people in the world who just want and can't give. They are called the monopolies of the great US of A. The childhood game of the same name teaches you to take or you will pay. How sad.
    travelfan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2009, 11:29 AM
    I went to the presentation, but before I did, I checked Southern Journeys out with the Better Business Bureau. They have an "A" rating, so I went with an open mind to the presentation.

I did not feel pressured in any way.

I chose to purchase the plan they offered and have taken vacations with them.

The accommodations are first rate, and I never have a problem booking a vacation.

I find it amazing that all of you folks crying wolf do not own the plan. You went to a presentation and got a free $300 gift and went home to online because you can't afford to buy the plan. So sad.

And for those of you that think Southern Journeys is a scam, check out the Better Business Burea.

The only complaints they have are these online scam buzzes that are from people that are NOT owners of the plan.

You can't buy it online, and that should be a clue to you. Online travel companies are a scam.

Southern Journeys is a sales office for Travel Advantage Network, and that company has a stellar rating with the Better Business Bureau as well.

So, if you have an invitation to go and listen to the presentation, get the free $300 gift. If you buy the plan, that is up to you, but you will still come away with a vacation for which you only pay taxes. And it only costs you 90 minutes of your time.

Then, after all is said and done, don't go ing online and complaining about a company that you know zilch about.

My 2 cents worth.
    travelfan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2009, 11:37 AM

I went to the presentation, but before I did, I checked Southern Journeys out with the Better Business Bureau. They have an "A" rating, so I went with an open mind to the presentation.

I did not feel pressured in any way.

I chose to purchase the plan they offered and have taken vacations with them.

The accommodations are first rate, and I never have a problem booking a vacation.

I find it amazing that all of you folks crying wolf do not own the plan. You went to a presentation and got a free $300 gift and went home to online because you can't afford to buy the plan. So sad.

And for those of you that think Southern Journeys is a scam, check out the Better Business Burea.

The only complaints they have are these online scam buzzes that are from people that are NOT owners of the plan.

You can't buy it online, and that should be a clue to you. Online travel companies are a scam.

Southern Journeys is a sales office for Travel Advantage Network, and that company has a stellar rating with the Better Business Bureau as well.

So, if you have an invitation to go and listen to the presentation, get the free $300 gift. If you buy the plan, that is up to you, but you will still come away with a vacation for which you only pay taxes. And it only costs you 90 minutes of your time.

Then, after all is said and done, don't go ing online and complaining about a company that you know zilch about.

My 2 cents worth.
    4fire Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2009, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1234 View Post
    I have had great experiences with this company for the past 10 years. In fact I am looking to buy 2 weeks from someone. If anyone is interested please PM me
    I have been a member for 8 years and have loved all the properties we have been to. I do have weeks for sale due to not using them right now. This is not a scam. Let me know
    Yankee trader Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2009, 11:35 PM
    I have been a member of Travel Advantage Network based in Millersville,MD for 13 years and taken 60 or more vacations . Their units are condos ,houses, resorts, and yes a few Hotel/Motel rooms that are efficiency. Occasionally outdated or rustic setting but always offset by the location or the view and always clean. Hey, Sebago Lake Maine does not have 5 star resorts ,but they do have a great relaxing area near a lake.In 13 years there has to be a few miscues, but the people at TAN reservations are first rate, polite and always make it right,

When we bought in 13 years ago there was a little pressure as Time Shares were in their hay day, but we got a good deal $2000 for 10 weeks , we still have 6 weeks left ( there have been bonus deals over the years )( right now if we buy a week we get a week credit back) The best kept secret is the Excess Inventory for less than $200 a week, used that to go to Orlando last fall , Just outside Disney who started at 800 for one room, we had full condo 2 bedrooms 2 baths kitchen etc.
    Lovely cottage on Cape Cod in spring 2bedrooms 1 and 1/2 baths , little too cold to use the beach , but there were people on it and it was within walking distance.

So why the complains sounds like Marketing was outsourced, plus you have to use it to make it work. Time shares and Vacation clubs are not for everyone, but if you can be flexible what a bargain LAWRENCE WELK RESORT in San Diego CA, IN OCTOBER for 200 a week!! ( and the resort tossed in a free stage show)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 02:29 AM
    Readers will notice that the people who post positive reviews never post here again. In my opinion they are simply plants here to pump up the scam.
    espbrad323 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2009, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1234 View Post
    I have had great experiences with this company for the past 10 years. In fact I am looking to buy 2 weeks from someone. If anyone is interested please PM me
    I have a whole package and have never used it would sell mine
    exsalesrep Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2009, 05:10 PM

I worked there a for a couple of weeks two and a half years ago. At that time the company was not a member of the BBB of Columbus. I smelled a rat then and I smell a rat now. Check with the BBB and ask how they "suddenly" have been members since 2003.
    acurren Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2009, 04:30 PM

I bought 14 vacation weeks back in 2005 and have 9 left. But now I need to sell what I have and will sell them for half of what I paid back then. That's $250. Per week X 9=$2250

If you have considered getting a package you should jump on this deal. They provide an excellent service but I can't use it. Email contact@ filipinasparty.com
    sunshineforsale Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2009, 08:05 PM

I still have some vacation weeks left on sunshine package (TAN). I don't have time to take them so offering at discount.
    In time to book summer travel.
    Prefer someone who has already traveled with Sunshine but open to other with qualifications.
    Contact email [email protected]
    Babbalink Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 03:37 PM
    We are members of TAN. It's not a bad company. In fact we have rented some very nice codos for $189 for a week (excess inventory). I don't know anything about the free trip part but I have taken some of them with other companies. Usually they are very nice but there is a sales pitch and you have to know how to say "NO". You could join TAN anytime so don't do anything in a hurry - think about it. We went through the TAN sales pitch and kept saying no until they offered us a vacation club for $600. We said yes to that and have been satisfied. We get excess inventory and we can rent other places for $400-$800 a week. Be careful if the trip goes to Mexico. They are very high pitched and you would be dealing with a foreign company, although the free vacation was very nice.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2010, 03:50 PM
    Just so people know, this is a very old thread that is now archived and not generally visible unless someone happens to visit this forum topic area.

If you want something to be more visible, please start a new thread.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mother In Law taking advantage of us [ 8 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I love each other very much and we have a wonderful little boy called Alex who is now three (I am 34 and she is 25). Her mum looked after Alex for well over a year as both of us worked. We paid her £300pcm for that as she had bus fares to pay for from her house to ours, which she...

How do I make him stop taking advantage [ 7 Answers ]

I have been with the same guy for 7 years. I know that he is not using me for sex because our sex life is not that active. I do think/know he takes advantage of my kindness and of me finanically. How do I stop this from happening. I am a nice person by nature and would do almost anything to make...

Taking advantage or what? [ 10 Answers ]

So I got this job a little over 3 months ago through a temp agency, when I interviewed they said I would be a receptionist/ admin assist. I do NOT do any reception or admin assist. I am in the shipping dept. handling mail and shipping and receiving. When I started working they offered me $13, which...

How do I use Back Taxes to my advantage? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My name is Curtis and I live in Michigan. My two brothers and I are starting a partnership to buy houses cheap and flip them for profit. We know there is a way to pick up houses with back taxes on them for cheap. However, none of us have experience doing this. I was wondering if you...

How to locate and take advantage of opprtunities around me? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a big problem. People who are less educated than me, those who don't work as hard as me, those who are not as devoted as me grow and make progress. But I always lag behind. This surprises not only me but to my friends and relatives too. Sometimes I even become a laughing stock or a person to...

View more questions Search