Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johanson67 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2012, 11:14 AM
    Mortgage in my mothers name but we pay the mortgage we want to add ourselves to deed
    We refinanced with my mother we are not on the mortgage but we pay the mortgage she does not live here so we want to add our names to the deed she is very old now and we want to protect our interest!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2012, 11:38 AM
    The mortgage company may or may not allow this - she would have to redeed the house to you and your wife. You do realize that if she dies unless this situation is covered by a Will the house is part of her estate - right?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 29, 2012, 02:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    The mortgage company may or may not allow this ...
    Check the wording of the mortgage to see if the mortgage company's approval is required. It probably is.

You need to see an attorney to figure this out.

What do you mean you refiananced with your mother? They allowed a re-fi without requiring you to be on the title? That is odd. And it illustrates why you should have done this with the help of an attorney.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 29, 2012, 06:01 PM
    I strongly suggest that mom immediately makes a will bequeathing the property to you. That may be the best way to protect your interest.

As noted, your mortgage probably has a clause that make is due on sale. This means that if the property transfers ownership the balance of the mortgage is immediately due and payable.

In addition, the property can't be legally transferred unless the mortgage lien is satisfied.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 29, 2012, 10:07 PM
    Why did you not add your names to loan and on the deed when your mom did the refi?

But you may need to do a new refi in both names, and add yourself to the deed. I doubt the loan company will allow you to add names to deed without it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Add Names to Mortgage or Deed? [ 2 Answers ]

We recently had a for a "keys for cash" settlement on our last house. We are in the process of purchasing a house with another member of the family. The other member was approved for the full amount of the mortgage, but we agreed to pay $1000 of the $1200 mortgage payment each month as...

How to add spouse to coop deed with no mortgage on it [ 1 Answers ]

My mom wants to add my name on her deed, her apt. is paid off already

How does my boyfriend add me to his mortgage and deed? [ 0 Answers ]

My boyfriend purchased a house when we were first dating on a "no doc" loan. He is on SSI and is now unable to refinance because of his low income. I moved in and have been with him now for 5 yrs. I have horrible credit because of a divorce and am trying to bring it back up. We both would like...

Should I add my hsband to the deed and the mortgage? [ 1 Answers ]

What would happen if I added my husband to my mortgage as a non-qualifying assumption?

Add Name to Mortgage Deed [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to add my daughter-in-law's name to my mortgage deed, without her being liable for any mortgage payments, etc. I am doing this now so she will be sole owner at the time of my death. What legal procedure is used to do this? Thank you.

View more questions Search